Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » sauces for dinner (pre-made)

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
sauces for dinner on 03/21/2010 06:47:14 MDT Print View

If I wanted to make the sauces and add them to pastas etc and then dehydrate them and make individual meals for FBC I would back off on the salt. Should I do the same with the vinegar?

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
sauces for dinner (pre-made) on 03/21/2010 17:35:54 MDT Print View

I wouldn't. The vinegar is also an important part of the taste, in addition to the preservability, and is not too strong to need cutting back.

nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
longevity of the sauces on 03/21/2010 20:00:09 MDT Print View

Great looking recipies. I've made things similar to a couple of them, but I've never thought that they would keep for 12-13 days. Mike, can you provide some more detail about what conditions you've kept them in? I'm wondering how well they'd work in the late summer in the Sierras, with a possibility of routine 90 degree days.

Because I'm skittish, whenever I've done (vegan) pesto like this, I start with it frozen. Works well if you're meeting folks at the trailhead--we often have a cooler for ingredients for a "real" meal the night before anyway, and then the sauces can be frozen and stay chilled in your pack for most of the first day, at least.

Richard Gless
(rgless) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
sauces for dinner (pre-made) - vinegar on 03/21/2010 23:22:30 MDT Print View

Vinegar is dilute acetic acid (bp ca. 120 deg C), I think ca. 3%. If you try to dehydrate it, it will either evaporate completely or leave a residue of a higher concentration of acetic acid that may cause acidic decomposition of some other ingredient or the packaging.

Why not just carry a bit of vinegar in a dropper bottle.

Scott Tanner
(Scott.tanner) - M
How do the sauces freeze? on 02/25/2014 20:18:08 MST Print View

Anyone try freezing these then defrosting and bringing out on the trail? Do they freeze ok? Seems like they should. How would freezing effect their shelf life after defrosting?

Shannon Woody
(swoodyut) - F - MLife

Locale: The Front Range
I freeze sauces like this all the time on 03/05/2014 14:41:26 MST Print View

I freeze sauces like these all the time, for both trail and home use. My fave these days is a nice Chimichurri. They defrost great! I've also taken to freezing them in little 2oz cup portions so I only have to pull 1-2 servings out at a time.

Thanks for bringing back an old thread :)