Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why Did You become a Lifetime Member?

Display Avatars Sort By:
R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Why Did You become a Lifetime Member? on 01/14/2010 17:02:49 MST Print View

Why Did You become a Lifetime Member?

Was it the opertunity to join the most dedicated and passionate community of backpacking experts in the world and gain access to the BPL premium content and archives?

Was it the Members-only sale?

Or ??

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Stimulus Re: Why Did You become a Lifetime Member? on 01/14/2010 17:10:55 MST Print View

Two reasons-

1- So I wouldn't have to fret every year about whether to renew.
2- The economy is tough. I figured that BPL offered a good deal on lifetime memberships to stimulate some cash flow, so I helped.

It was certainly a gamble that BPL is still around for 5+ more years, that the content and user community stays up to the current high quality, and that I still have an interest.

Note that ever since my buddy Al Gore invented the internet, I've only paid for content twice- here and on a freediving site.

Edited by jimqpublic on 01/14/2010 17:20:01 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Why Did You become a Lifetime Member? on 01/14/2010 17:11:23 MST Print View

Hmmmmm. To be honest, I feel like I'd already received much more in benefits from this site than the $99 fee, so it was an easy decision. I could have done everything you mention in your second sentence with a yearly subscription, so it wasn't that. And, knowing me, I probably won't be around this site in 5 years, so it wasn't that particular ROI either. Personally, I'd pay $99 per year to keep the site around for as long as I found it useful. I'd say it's worth that, at least to me right now.

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Why Did You become a Lifetime Member?" on 01/14/2010 17:13:35 MST Print View

That's the spirit Doug!

I'm gonna up to a lifer as soon as I can figure out how to run it by the BOSS.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
"Why Did You become a Lifetime Member?" on 01/14/2010 17:33:00 MST Print View

I agree with Douglas. I have already learned more than enough to justify the $99.00. I have other lifetime memberships that have more than paid for themselves as I continue to learn from them. I will, hopefully, be backpacking for many more than just 5 years and this site has become, and will continue to be, one of my most important sources of knowledge.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Why Did You become a Lifetime Member? on 01/14/2010 18:44:49 MST Print View

A five year gamble with low downside. I'll easily recoup the $99 with discounts on gear. Buying a Hane covered nearly half of it. Then if this site still exists and I'm still around in 5 years it will be an exceptionally good deal. If not no big loss.

The rest, community, content is important but harder to quantify. In this case the numbers meant I didn't have to.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Why Did You become a Lifetime Member? on 01/14/2010 19:06:57 MST Print View

I figured that I had been a member for five years... I expect BPL to be around 5 years from now and I will continue to be interested in the content so I might as well get the membership thing over with and not have the yearly hassle of renewing. It's also a way to demonstrate support. There is a potential financial savings long term. Potential financial downside is small in the scheme of things for my families budget.

--Mark

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Why Did You become a Lifetime Member? on 01/14/2010 19:09:28 MST Print View

I've been here since the beginning pretty much. Have already recouped my money in money saved. Plus my membership was up just as they were announcing lifetime, so why not.

jim draucker
(mtnjim) - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA
MLife on 01/14/2010 19:16:49 MST Print View

I did it because it seemed like the right thing to do, at the time. A gift would have been nice. A hat, magnet for my fridge, or perhaps a calender? hint-hint.

Jim

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Why Did You become a Lifetime Member? on 01/14/2010 19:44:13 MST Print View

The commitment.

None of us knows how many annuals we will see. I hope all of us have many more than five. I believe buying a Lifetime membership says you have an optimistic outlook.

Many of us have better lives directly and indirectly attributable to BPL. Some of us are even extending BPL further into our lives. Lifetime membership fits.

Lightness. Simplification.

D S
(onthecouchagain) - MLife

Locale: Sunny SoCal
if this is a test, I choose all of the above on 01/14/2010 21:48:12 MST Print View

Already recouped $28.00 by my rough calculations from the MLIFE sale; then there's the upside of no more member fees...EVER (RIGHT RYAN????), and of course the funny and imformative forums pages and reviews. You just can't lose!

couch

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: if this is a test, I choose all of the above on 01/14/2010 21:57:32 MST Print View

>> then there's the upside of no more member fees...EVER (RIGHT RYAN????)

So you really thought this is the end of the line, couch?

We are working on a new program, open only as an upgrade to MLIFErs:

M>LIFE

which gives you some neat benefits after you die:

1. Zero weight packs.
2. No blisters. Ever. Again.
3. All gear is free.
4. No more rain. Of course, our SoCal M's won't see the point in this one.
5. 1000 calories per ounce.
6. Inflatable pads that never need fixing.

and more.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Senior Discount on MLife on 01/14/2010 22:18:24 MST Print View

Why not become a lifer? Well, probably will, once my current annual subscription nears its end. Waste not, want not.

On the other hand, if a "senior discount" were offered . . .

D S
(onthecouchagain) - MLife

Locale: Sunny SoCal
may I rest in peace on 01/14/2010 22:22:42 MST Print View

Truly, backpackers heaven...now Ryan, if only you can design a 7 ounce cuben fiber tent for two, with full coverage, excellent ventilation, 360* views for asthetics in storm mode, then and only then will I know I have died and gone to heaven!

couch

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Why Did You become a Lifetime Member? on 01/15/2010 00:37:55 MST Print View

Only for a selfish reason. I enjoy and find value in the resources here. Figured my money would help keep it going.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: if this is a test, I choose all of the above on 01/15/2010 08:35:59 MST Print View

Ryan said "We are working on a new program, open only as an upgrade to MLIFErs: M>LIFE"

I like it!

Just wondering about its price as my mind recalls a Charlie Daniels fiddle solo.

Adam Frizzell
(adamf) - MLife

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Re: Re: Why Did You become a Lifetime Member? on 01/15/2010 11:17:25 MST Print View

Gotta agree with Doug too. We've had this conversation on the trail.

It really comes down to my opinion that I've easily acquired $99 worth of advice, instruction, information from this site, and I gladly pay it out to become a member and give back into BPL.
When it comes down to it, the things I learned from this site even before I was a member have also EASILY saved me $99 in bad purchases (probably 5 or 6 times over!). So, again, glad to put it back into BPL.
Plus, as another poster mentioned, I can't stand renewing things. I'd prefer to just do it once and then it's done. I also hate bills for this very reason.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Why Did You become a Lifetime Member? on 01/15/2010 11:49:59 MST Print View

> A gift would have been nice.
> A hat, magnet for my fridge,
> or perhaps a calender? hint-hint.

Jim, there's no WAY I'm ever allowing a BPL fridge magnet to get made, but something about a hat seems like maybe, just maybe I might have researched, and designed, and priced out, and put into a future order queue, and contemplated giving away, and...

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Why Did You become a Lifetime Member? on 01/15/2010 12:21:11 MST Print View

hat suggestion...

hat

Richard Rini
(rarini) - MLife

Locale: Southeast
Fuel for BPL Future on 01/15/2010 13:38:41 MST Print View

I looked at it as an investment/donation for the future of BPL. I have learned so much from this site so I figured I'd put my trust into Ryan to use the funds wisely. I have also had an opportunity to meet a couple of the staffers and they really impressed me. So for me, it was an easy decision.