Forum Index » GEAR » Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Locale: Outside
Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets? on 01/13/2010 22:25:21 MST Print View

I'm trying to purchase a really light rain jacket, as a "just in case" type of thing, for trips where rain isn't really predicted. I had settled on the North Face Triumph Anorak @ 5.4 oz. but when I went to order it using my employee discount today, realized it has been discontinued. I know it's still available online, but I'm not willing to pay full price for it :)

Any others out there in this weight category that I should know of?

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets? on 01/13/2010 23:11:29 MST Print View

My size M Marmot Essence weighs 6.4oz.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets? on 01/13/2010 23:49:50 MST Print View

dri ducks. Size L, 6oz, $10-$15 depending on how good a deal you get for jacket AND pants. More breathable that any of the super light PU jackets though they don't have pitzips. Durability isn't great, but so long as your aren't bushwacking they can lack a year or two of use.

--Mark

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
lightweight rain jacket on 01/14/2010 00:03:26 MST Print View

I just got a hooded rain jacket from AGG, 4 oz for what was called Medium size. However, they run large, and there is room for at least three wool shirts under this, so it is at least one or two wool shirts larger than my normal Medium. But that's OK. For a rain jacket, you want it a little roomy.
--B.G.--

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Jkt on 01/14/2010 00:23:11 MST Print View

Marmot sells the Essence and Mica jackets which are basically the same thing but the Mica has two hip pockets and the Essence has pit zips and 1 chest pocket instead. Compared to the Triumph Anorak you gain an ounce, but you get a full main zipper so you don't have to pull it over and the Essence gives you pit zips which I value.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Jkt on 01/14/2010 04:54:13 MST Print View

Dan,

Does the Esssence actually give you pit zips, or just a flap-covered pit opening? The pictures look like the latter. I also value pit zips, but don't know if simply pit openings would work for me.

Thanks.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Re: Jkt on 01/14/2010 08:02:01 MST Print View

No zips just a flap covered opening.
Essence Vent 1Essence Vent 2

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets? on 01/14/2010 08:42:32 MST Print View

if you can hold out for a while maybe the remaining Triumph's will eventually go on sale.

I recently purchased a Triumph at closeout from Backcountry (last one).
Very light(size XL = 180g or 6.34oz).
Very nice for being so light.

North Face Diad
Another slightly heavier option is the North Face Diad, not the stretch model but the older non stretch. Have they stopped making it also ? not sure.
its a full service full zip jacket and Great.
(My size XL = 271g or 9.5oz)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets on 01/14/2010 08:54:42 MST Print View

7.7oz Outdoor Research Zealot. Gortex Paclite.

Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Re: lightweight rain jacket on 01/14/2010 09:04:19 MST Print View

Interesting find on the AGG Rain Jacket ... I think that would actually make an excellent vapor barrier jacket for winter! I've been looking for a lightweight VB didn't cost an arm and a leg. This compares pretty favorably to the heavier RBH Designs stuff. What do others think?

http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=AGRNJKT&cat=75

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Jkt on 01/14/2010 09:12:45 MST Print View

Thanks Bradford!

Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Re: Re: Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets? on 01/14/2010 09:12:57 MST Print View

Nevermind ...

Edited by ChrisKayler on 01/14/2010 09:15:48 MST.

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
TNF Triumph Anorak on 01/14/2010 09:31:51 MST Print View

I also ordered my TNF Triumph Anorak on closeout from Backcountry....

Size is a Small. It weighs 5.7 ounces. I thought it would be weighing in at barely over 5 ounces in the small size, seeing as they claimed 5.4... which I assumed was based off a medium.

Had it not been on clearance, I would have returned it for a Marmot with a full zip for the small weight difference....

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: lightweight rain jacket on 01/14/2010 10:07:40 MST Print View

The silnylon jacket has been around for years. Dancing Light Gear (Brawny, trail name) first made that particular one, but stopped in about 2005. Antigravity Gear took over her design and used to call it Brawny gear, but then changed the name probably when they changed the design.

Equinox makes a silnylon jacket too, but it's heavier at about 6 oz.

Weiyi Wang
(wwyjedi)

Locale: mid
essence on 01/14/2010 10:11:50 MST Print View

another vote for essence. but size up.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
rain jacket as a vapor barrier on 01/14/2010 10:21:31 MST Print View

Christopher, I hadn't thought of my hooded rain jacket as a vapor barrier, but I suppose it would work. I think of a vapor barrier as being something snug and relatively close to the skin. This thing is a little more like a tent. If you could get locked into the right size, it would serve as a vapor barrier. It has light elastic at the bottom, velcro at the cuffs, and a drawstring at the hood opening.

Did I mention it was only 4 oz.?
--B.G.--

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: Jkt on 01/14/2010 11:08:54 MST Print View

"Does the Esssence actually give you pit zips, or just a flap-covered pit opening?"
I bought an Essence online (which is in the mail) based on my understanding that it had pit zips, but it sounds like Bradford is right that they are just flap covered openings. On Marmot's website they refer to them as 'integrated cooling vents'.

The Essence has been changed and updated many times over the past few years. It used to not have any underarm venting and now it seems to have flap covered vents, but it's plausible that some versions have real pit zips...I dunno.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Cape vents, Pit Vents, Pit Zips, Vent Pockets... Re: Very Lightweight Rain Jackets? on 01/14/2010 11:27:48 MST Print View

My son received a Marmot Precip jacket for Christmas. It has mesh lined "core vent" pockets high on the chest. They are intriguing but I suspect that they won't be of much use when carrying a backpack- it looks like they will be just barely outboard of the pack straps.

I have a couple light jackets with a cape vent in the back. Useless for anything other than running or cycling in my opinion. For hiking with a pack the vent is blocked. Stop for a rest with the pack off and the cold wind blows up my skirt. Turn your back to a cold wind and get frozen.

I want to be able to seal up a wind or rain jacket. That means every opening needs to have a zip.

Travis Butler
(sherpaxc)
Where can I get one? on 01/14/2010 11:57:55 MST Print View

I can't find a Marmot Mica or Essence on sale anywhere in a size medium. Any insight on where I can find one?

Joseph Morrison
(sjdm4211) - F

Locale: Smokies
Marmot Essence on 01/14/2010 12:17:34 MST Print View

I really like my Marmot Essence. I am amazed at how well this thing breathes.

I don't mind the lack of pit zips, never liked using them anyway. The mesh holes are more simple and lighter. I haven't missed two hand pockets yet. The Napolean pocket is okay. I don't know if I like it or not. The hood is great with a large brim.

I don't know how exact my scale is but my mens small came out to be a tad over 6 oz.

Joseph