November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Mid/Tipi Zipper help.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Mid/Tipi Zipper help. on 01/13/2010 07:16:06 MST Print View

I have made a few pyramids/Tipi's recently, and I can't seem to get the door zipper to come out very well. I have basically used a flat felled seam going from the ground to the apex. Then I try to add a zipper to one of the seams that stops a distance from the apex.. The problem is where the zipper starts. I can't come up with a good way to transition from the flat felled seam to the zipper since the seam is "interlocking", how do you essential unlock it without making a mess of the seam? Should I be using a different seam?

Any suggestions?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Mid/Tipi Zipper help. on 01/13/2010 08:40:15 MST Print View

when i do zippers for shelters i try very hard to make the zippered part of the panel and the non-zip part 2 separate pieces.

the mids i have made are only 4-5 feet tall so the zip goes almost all the way to the top. I sew the zip into the 2 panels then cut off the top 6-10" of the panel. I sew on some of the tarp fabric and some reinforcement fabric as this will be the peak of the mid. Once that is done i have my large panel with zipper than i can sew into the other 3 large panels.