November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
"Blue" CCF vs Evazote\Volara
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
"Blue" CCF vs Evazote\Volara on 01/11/2010 11:08:21 MST Print View

This thread suggests the R value of these is essentially the same. Is the advantage to Evazote/Volara that they are slightly lighter and more durable then? The blue stuff seems plenty durable & light to me and much cheaper. However, one downside for it is lack of packability IMHO unless you cut some reinforced slits so it can be folded like a Z-rest.

I need to get some more padding soon for my son and am trying to decide if Evazote (eg, GG Thinlight) is worth almost 4x the cost of blue from Walmart. I believe in that same thread Richard Nisley indicated the "better" blue foams will spring back after compression - I was surprised the stuff from Walmart did this.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: "Blue" CCF vs Evazote\Volara on 01/11/2010 14:20:59 MST Print View

There's not a lot of difference between them. It may be worth while trying the cheaper version (subject to basic checks!) at first, just to see.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: "Blue" CCF vs Evazote\Volara on 01/11/2010 14:26:10 MST Print View

So people are spending 3-4x on Thinlights mostly to save a few grams? I guess I also understand they are somewhat stickier, which helps bags from sliding around. Blue doesn't have this property.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Re: "Blue" CCF vs Evazote\Volara on 01/11/2010 16:09:09 MST Print View

Yep. A quick check comparing the Gossamer gear 3/8" and REI blue foam has the gg at 6.0 - 6.4 oz/sq yd and the blue foam at 7.2 oz/sq yd.

I don't see it as being drastically more expensive though. lists their 72" length 3/8" sleeping pad at $20. The slightly shorter 60" pad at gg is also $20.

Edited by nschmald on 01/11/2010 16:14:42 MST.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: "Blue" CCF vs Evazote\Volara on 01/11/2010 18:53:44 MST Print View

> lists their 72" length 3/8" sleeping pad at $20

Wow. It's gone up a lot then. I bought that last June for <$6.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blue" CCF vs Evazote\Volara on 01/11/2010 19:15:50 MST Print View

Walmart still has the $6 pads. Not sure what pad Nia is speaking of.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
.com on 01/11/2010 19:19:45 MST Print View

You missed Nia's ".com".

Paul Davis
(pdavis) - M

Locale: Yukon, 60N 135W
Evazote tops blue CCF for durability + low temperature use on 01/11/2010 19:56:52 MST Print View

All: I have and use both, mostly as 'sitz' pads in camp or on day hikes, also Evazote as a full-winter pad under a Thermarest LE.

All of my foamies come to me used, some with much use, and the Evazote is clearly superior over the longer haul; it is harder to rip and to crease by folding. It is also more reliable (and warmer!) below -25C where most plastic products get dicey.

Your experiences may vary!