Forum Index » Chaff » Did you feel that!?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Did you feel that!? on 01/09/2010 17:57:57 MST Print View

Just had a 6.5 quake here. That's my biggest so far. House did good. Dogs are all freaked out, but were unable to predict. Hope all is well

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
nope on 01/09/2010 18:00:53 MST Print View

had a four point something a few days ago that I barely felt.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Oh noez on 01/09/2010 18:06:56 MST Print View

Did you fall into the ocean?

Jim Carr
(jcarr) - F

Locale: Humboldt County
Earthquake on 01/09/2010 20:48:54 MST Print View

Ken,I'm here in Loleta and had quite a ride!! I geuss you were not here in 92 for our tripple junction. We had a 7.0, 6.8 and 6.5 in 48 hours when all three fault zones let loose!!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Did you feel that!? on 01/09/2010 21:42:52 MST Print View

Ho Hum...

I've lived in Calif most of my life. Been through a lot of 'big' ones. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Re: Did you feel that!? on 01/09/2010 22:33:55 MST Print View

I've been in south SF this week at our warehouse and felt both the 4.5 and the 6.5 today. We thought they were jet planes flying real close overhead. Exciting enough for this Montana boy!

Jang-Tian Shieh
(syoten) - MLife

Locale: Taiwan
Re: Did you feel that!? on 01/10/2010 06:03:53 MST Print View

I live in a country where eathquakes occurs frequently.
6.5 is a pretty large earthquake, but the destructiveness depents on how far and how deep it is. I've been experienced some large earthquakes, but all are not very colse to where I was then. Actually, my master degree is about earthquake early warning. Hope the technique can be used to provide warning for people to reduce the damage more efficiently in the future.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Did you feel that!? on 01/10/2010 08:22:31 MST Print View

Ho Hum!? Thanks Nick for belittling our experience. If a ground-shaking event bores you, I am saddened. NATURE IS NEVER BORING

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
quakes. on 01/10/2010 10:35:56 MST Print View

I love a good earthquake, as long as things don't start falling over. No better reminder about how powerful the forces of nature are! But I didn't feel either of these ones.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Did you feel that!? on 01/10/2010 12:07:52 MST Print View

>>Ho Hum!? Thanks Nick for belittling our experience. If a ground-shaking event bores you, I am saddened. NATURE IS NEVER BORING

No intent to belittle anyone. We have 1,000's of earthquakes each year in California. 100's daily in the Mammoth area. My home in Palm Springs suffered minor structural damage in the Landers quake. I was living in the LA area during the Northridge quake. I was staying in the top floor of the largest hotel in Pasadena during the Big Bear quake. And was backpacking near Mammoth during the large quake in the late 80's. They are just a part of life in California, as are tornados in the midwest and hurricanes in the coast area. Nothing to get excited about unless the are major disaters.

I have seen scores of people freak out over them and actually scream and cry during after shocks. I have seen people just up and leave, leaving their homes and belongings behind.

A snow storm in Palm Springs gets me excited :). The last one was in 1979.