Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Prolite Plus
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Davis
(pdavis) - M

Locale: Yukon, 60N 135W
T-rest field trial at -40C/-40F on 01/13/2010 13:10:35 MST Print View

Donna: I am reluctant to lose a night's sleep in a field trial of gear, so I usually just try to do an outside nap; for me -40C or -40F requires 2 full-foam (no coring out) foam T-rests, LE (5cm) + an 'Orbit' pad made by T-rest for MEC.ca, 5cm thick, plus 20mm Evazolite CC foam pad, 2 down bags, synthetic overbag...I still need to come up with some sort of an insulated snorkel system to keep exhalation vapour out of the bags...

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Depends on the surface you are sleeping on on 01/13/2010 13:27:16 MST Print View

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that what you need under you depends on the surface you are sleeping on -- how conductive it is, how much of a heat sink it is. Sleeping on bare wood, frozen ground, rock, ice, snow are all different.

Properly done snow (snowshoe or ski-packed, and let set up before use) is a surprisingly good insulator, and far warmer than sleeping on ice. Boot-packed snow is too close to ice for me.

-- Bob

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Prolite Plus on 01/13/2010 15:03:49 MST Print View

The Prolite 3 is now called Prolite, the Prolite 4 is the Prolite Plus.
The W version is rated higher, it has more foam inside.
M ProLite R2.2, W R2.8
M ProLite Plus R 3.8, W R4.6
Franco

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Prolite Plus on 01/13/2010 18:21:20 MST Print View

Leave it to Franco to straighten me out. : ) That cleared up everything for me. Thanks, Franco.

I will try different set ups. I thought maybe shorten up my old yoga mat and sandwich it between the two pads. I won't need a full length. Or I could simply suck it up and quit whining about it. : )

John G
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Yoga Mat on 01/13/2010 18:34:25 MST Print View

The yoga mats are often quite a bit heavier than the $8 foam pad in Walmart's camping section. Plus the blue foam is definitely closed cell foam - so definitely warm.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Yoga Mat on 01/14/2010 03:45:17 MST Print View

I wouldn't need much. Just enough to keep the CCF pad and BA from slipping so much. Rubberized shelf liner is good as well and might weigh less. I'll work on it maybe this weekend. Straps might be the way to go. I just can't spend $$ on a down pad right now.

Speaking of down mats...how well does the internal pump on the Exped hold up?