Forum Index » Photography » Waterproof cameras?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Waterproof cameras? on 01/05/2010 12:46:59 MST Print View

Ok, shutterbugs. I'm no photographer, but I'm willing to fool around with setting aperture, shutter speed, etc manually once in a while. What are some good waterproof cameras? (Not waterproof like a dive camera- just waterproof like an "it's no big deal that I just dropped my camera into the pond" camera.)

I have an older Pentax W-somethingorother waterproof, but I find the lack of control frustrating. The longest shutter speed possible is only 4 seconds, for instance.

Edited by acrosome on 01/05/2010 12:47:56 MST.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Olympus on 01/05/2010 13:18:46 MST Print View

Olympus has a good line of waterproof cameras that are also very tough.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Olympus on 01/05/2010 15:56:43 MST Print View

All of my shots have been with an Olympus Stylus 720WP since 2006. I never adjust anything manually except for the flash. I am not going to say it is the camera that takes the best pictures for the weight, but it rains A LOT where I hike and it is nice to not have to worry all the time about my camera. I also tend to take pictures in the rain when everyone else I hike with is afraid to take their camera out of the ziplock.

My photos are here:

My Webshots Homepage

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Waterproof cameras? on 01/05/2010 16:46:36 MST Print View

Hi Dean,

Can I suggest starting here?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

It's a reasonably comprehensive roundup of the current crop. I'd stay clear of Oly until they drop the inferior xD card format (slow and max of 2GB). If I were shopping today, I'd probably end up with the Panasonic TS1.

Cheers,

Rick

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Re: Waterproof cameras? on 01/05/2010 16:54:40 MST Print View

I've used the TS1 through most of 2009 and LOVE it. And I'm super picky. It's a fantastic little camera for a waterproof, and it shoots very good video too.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Re: Re: Waterproof cameras? on 01/05/2010 19:12:28 MST Print View

My only complaint after looking at the Panasonic TS1 was the fact that it had no lens cover whatsoever. I just felt like that was a design oversight.

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

Locale: Central Oklahoma
CES is Underway on 01/06/2010 08:07:49 MST Print View

The Consumer Electronics Show is happening right now, so there will be some new cameras introduced. That will probably mean some price reductions on the current crop of WP cameras in the coming months.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Thanks on 01/06/2010 08:14:28 MST Print View

Thanks, all. I'll look up some of this stuff.

Rick- as a matter of fact I had found that review myself. But I'm, frankly, not educated enough on the subject to troll through the reams of technical specs and translate them. Thus my question: waterproof AND fully manually adjustable? My Pentax isn't terribly adjustable, and the 4 second limit on shutter speed REALLY irks me.

Offhand does anyone know the shutter speed range on the TS1? The Panasonic website says it has a "starry sky mode" so I asume that it is reasonable, but doesn't really say if there is a limit. Is it infinite?

Again, thanks.

Edited by acrosome on 01/06/2010 08:19:25 MST.

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
shutter on 01/06/2010 10:03:42 MST Print View

The FT1 / TS1's shutter speed in Intelligent Auto and Normal Picture modes ranges from 1/1300 to one second. There are some scene modes, for example, night scenery, candle light and fireworks where the shutter speed can go as slow as 8 seconds. The starry sky scene mode allows the setting of shutter speeds as slow as 60 seconds - longer than average for a compact.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Re: Waterproof Cameras on 01/07/2010 10:13:01 MST Print View

With CES going on there are boatloads of new cameras being unveiled, and from the swarm we discover that Oly has relented (finally) and plopped themselves into the SD card camp (ditto Sony). They unveiled this new "Tough" series camera so-equipped. Don't know how good it will be but I'm impressed at the 28mm eq. wide angle and the trout-lure pink option. Multiuse!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10010704olytough3000.asp

Cheers,

Rick

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
beauty mode on 01/07/2010 10:25:27 MST Print View

And... It has Beauty Mode!

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

CES on 01/07/2010 10:32:55 MST Print View

Rick brings up a good point about CES. Some nice cameras may come out. Sony just released a nonwaterproof camera that has a built in gps and compass to put location info into the exif data for your pictures. I think that's awesome. Too bad it's a Sony, with a memorystick and a lithium battery.

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

Re: CES - Sony GPS Camera on 01/07/2010 10:42:30 MST Print View

Plus its got 10x zoom.

My Oregon 550T isn't even 6 months old and I'm already considering the Gear Swap.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Zoom on 01/07/2010 11:07:27 MST Print View

The zoom is nice too. I'm just hoping someone makes a similar camera, except with SDHC memory, AA batteries and full manual mode. I don't think I'd be able to refuse that camera...if I have money.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Re: CES, Sony on 01/07/2010 11:43:25 MST Print View

Good news on the Sony front:

"A slot for Memory Stick PRO Duo and SD/SDHC memory cards (sold separately) is offered on all new models to suit users’ personal shooting preferences."

Death to xD and Memory Stick in one week. Progress I can believe in!

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Yes on 01/07/2010 11:47:57 MST Print View

That's awesome news!!!

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

New Olympus on 01/08/2010 14:51:14 MST Print View

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10010704olytough3000.asp

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Ouch on 01/08/2010 15:40:06 MST Print View

That's amusing how they have a dig at its sensor size. Yes, it's a PS camera. Noisy pictures are what you get when you don't pay for a big sensor.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
waterproof cameras on 01/10/2010 21:32:43 MST Print View

Before you go too far down the camera selection road, just be aware that there are professional camera bodies with a high degree of weather-tightness. But, those would not be of interest to an ultralightweight photographer.

The compact slightly-waterproof cameras can pass some waterproof dunk tests, but those would not be of interest to a real photographer.

It kind of depends on whether you are doing photography, or whether you are just taking snapshots.
--B.G.--

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

Re: Waterproof cameras? - New Panasonic on 01/26/2010 07:56:22 MST Print View

No word on price or release date.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012603panadmcft2.asp