Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Cooking in old coffee bags?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Alexander Dunn
(adunn) - F

Locale: Central Mass
Cooking in old coffee bags? on 01/05/2010 01:13:33 MST Print View

Is it safe or feasible to use empty, "meatlic" coffee ground bags to make my own instant meals? Thinking about lack of clean up and cheaper than prefab meals. Can those bags handle hot water?

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
cooking in old coffee bags on 01/05/2010 09:22:11 MST Print View

I guess it would be okay if you like your spaghetti dinner to taste like coffee and plastic. Seriously though... those bags are not rated for pouring boiling water into and you could potentially be leaching chemicals into your food.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Cooking in old coffee bags? on 01/05/2010 09:32:39 MST Print View

If I am thinking right you are talking about the empty Mylar bags that the coffee circles come in?

I know of people who reuse Mylar potato chip bags to do meals in....you can even seal the bags with a household iron.

You can as well buy Mylar food bags online rated for food use.

Anyhow, the ones that use the bags do wash them first to remove scents/flavors. Handwashing.

To the comment on boiling water...you don't need boiling water to do instant meals. 180* works just fine if you let it sit for 15 minutes cozied and that is 32* below boiling! The food will still be about 150* when done which is plenty hot.

Alexander Dunn
(adunn) - F

Locale: Central Mass
Cooking in old coffee bags on 01/05/2010 11:20:10 MST Print View

Thanks, I was more concerned with the plastic than coffee flavor. Just thinking about being cheap and reusable. I did read the post about using it as a trash bag.