Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Nicknames
Display Avatars Sort By:
Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Nicknames on 01/04/2010 17:33:14 MST Print View

I'm bored so I thought we'd try this on for size. How did you get your BPL nickname and what does it mean?

Mine is Junction. My initials are JCT... pretty self explanatory. If I ever open up my own outdoor store, I plan on calling it "The Junciton" In my dreams... maybe one day.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Nicknames on 01/04/2010 18:34:00 MST Print View

Sorry, but mine is pretty self-explanatory too -- once I let on that my first name is Ben. :)

I thought up this one years ago when I signed up at Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree travel forum. Great forum for international travel.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Nicknames on 01/04/2010 18:42:37 MST Print View

I've been called idester for years now. Don't really remember who did it first. I've also been called the idemonster. And a few unprintables. I decided to stick with idester

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: "Nicknames" on 01/04/2010 18:52:25 MST Print View

Click on my avatar and read my short bio. In 2008 my wife's cousin got me hooked on hiking. Since I was new to hiking and had no trail name (nickname) as of yet I had to pick one.

Newton = new to (or) on the trail. It has stuck with me. Although my hiking partner Lazarus is threatening to start calling me Stitch since I have been known to sew my own gear on occasion.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: Nicknames on 01/04/2010 19:01:22 MST Print View

Well it's a funny story, actually... oh, wait. Nevermind. I guess I was feeling a little boring on the day I created my account here.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Re: Re: Nicknames on 01/04/2010 19:05:13 MST Print View

>>>Well it's a funny story, actually... oh, wait. Nevermind. I guess I was feeling a little boring on the day I created my account here.<<<

Fail Cat

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Re: Re: Nicknames on 01/04/2010 19:25:06 MST Print View

Haha! You win!

That reminds me of a story, actually. Involving a kitty with one of those head cones trying to eat wet canned food, and then me waking up with meat and gravy in my face. Can you think of any good nicknames from that?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Nicknames on 01/04/2010 19:26:54 MST Print View

"Can you think of any good nicknames from that?"

Sure, but my post would get censored.....

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Edited by BPL Staff on 01/04/2010 19:40:15 MST Print View

Haha! What Doug said.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nicknames on 01/04/2010 19:44:20 MST Print View

"Sure, but my post would get censored....."

I can guess which word would be censored, but I'm not sure what else would go with it to make the nickname witty enough for you. Very intriguing, Idester ;)

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Nicknames on 01/04/2010 19:52:41 MST Print View

When I worked with troubled boys they called me "Chief" which turned into "Chief S-B" when I started laying the hammer down on misbehavior. Coming from those little stinkers I took it as a complement though. I put my initials on a towel as CLS and became "Chief Loose Screws" forever after.
My favorite when I worked with school groups in CO was to tell them my nickname was "Chief" because I got adopted by cannibles on an island off the coast of Iowa (or Nevada). The sad part was when they totally missed the joke looked at me with a dumb face and asked "Whats a cannible?"

Edited by Cameron on 01/04/2010 19:55:05 MST.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Re: Nicknames on 01/04/2010 20:00:24 MST Print View

@ Luke

So I might have missed it, but where did Cameron come from?

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re. Re. Nickname on 01/04/2010 21:14:36 MST Print View

Cameron was actually just what I put in as a usarname not actually a nickname.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Nicknames on 01/04/2010 22:13:27 MST Print View

sharalds is obviously a shortened version of my name but there's still a story behind it. It was the login for my first email account that I acquired in 1994 when I started attending North Dakota State University. sharalds@badlands.nodak.edu. I've been using it as a login for all kinds of Web sites ever since.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
RE: "Nicknames" on 01/05/2010 05:14:48 MST Print View

When I first retired from th Army I went to work foe the Dept. of Juvnile Justice...thus DJJmikie

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: RE: "Nicknames" on 01/05/2010 05:28:21 MST Print View

My trail name is 'trail_geek'.

Love being out on the trail, would do it for a living given the chance and I work in IT for an international company, apparently all people in IT are geeks.

Jonathan DeYoung
(jdeyoung81) - F

Locale: New England
Re: Re: RE: "Nicknames" on 01/05/2010 05:34:18 MST Print View

Nothing exciting about my name here, but I do have two nicknames that have semi stuck with me over the years -

Pukey - during high school I had gone home before track started and stuffed my face with some cookies and cake only to return to one of the more hellish workouts - Needless to say everyone saw what I had eaten.

Jonny5 (turned into J5) - college days/late nights/alcohol - woke up one morning and seemed to have channeled the movie Short Circuit and said "Jonny5 is not feelin' so alive"

Edited by jdeyoung81 on 01/05/2010 05:35:19 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Nicknames on 01/05/2010 12:08:01 MST Print View

Mine BPL name is first intial, last name. Not very creative. Since my legal first name is Nick, I don't need a "nickname." :)

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Re: Nicknames on 01/05/2010 12:20:08 MST Print View

I got my first computer user account of any kind my freshman year of college. I was sitting trying to think of something witty that was biology-related, since I was a biochemistry major, but they were all taken! Finally, I looked up the first reasonable word in the glossary of a textbook... voila. I've been acrosome ever since. (An acrosome is the enzyme packet on the tip of a spermatozoon that is used to eat it's way through the outer wall of an egg to fertilize it.)

The BEST biology name I've ever seen, though, was a guy who called himself NaKATPase...

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Nicknames on 01/05/2010 13:22:57 MST Print View

Geeze Dean, I thought of another nickname for you....;)