Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
REI Quarterdome UI
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Brewer
(crane557) - F

Locale: Southern California
REI Quarterdome UI on 01/02/2010 21:02:02 MST Print View

Okay so we all know about REI's great return policy well I bought a tent at the used gear sale. It's a quarterdome UI and I love it, but it's missing the fly. Does anyone have any suggestions? A replacement?

Thanx,
John

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: REI Quarterdome UI on 01/02/2010 21:26:57 MST Print View

Call up REI and see if you can get a replacement. Otherwise, eBay, Craig's List, etc. and search for one. Someone here (Doug Johnson maybe?) just recently had a thread about making a tent fly and it ended up being much more costly than it was worth, so s/he scrapped the idea.

John Brewer
(crane557) - F

Ahh on 01/03/2010 08:23:09 MST Print View

Thanks for the reply, I was afraid of that. The thing is I got a REALLY good deal on it so maybe I'll look up his post.

John Brewer
(crane557) - F

Make your own rainfly on 01/03/2010 08:36:27 MST Print View

Does anyone have pictures of thr Quarterdome UL fly?

Thanx,

John

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: REI Quarterdome UI on 01/03/2010 11:46:57 MST Print View

Make your own fly from silnylon and save some weight. Kust set the tent up and make a pattern with heavy paper and tape directly on the tent.

John Brewer
(crane557) - F

Thanks on 01/03/2010 13:11:59 MST Print View

Thanks for the tip. I just want to get it as close as possible.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Make your own rainfly on 01/03/2010 14:28:53 MST Print View

John wrote:"Does anyone have pictures of the Quarterdome UL fly?"

Found a photo at:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/REI%20Quarter%20Dome%20tent/Owner%20Review%20by%20Andrew%20Buskov/

REI Quarterdome UL

I've though about taking a decent factory-made tent base and making or adapting a poncho for a fly. My initial inspiration was to do that with a framed bug bivy or one person tent.

The quarterdome is large enough that you might be able to adapt a simple silnylon tarp for a fly, allowing you to use the fly alone when it suits. I assume a poncho would be too small unless you wanted to have tuck-away sections, a la SMD Gatewood Cape. My point is that you don't *have* to follow the original design. Think outside the box-- or tent in this case :)

Edited by dwambaugh on 01/03/2010 14:35:18 MST.

John Brewer
(crane557) - F

Thanks! on 01/03/2010 16:27:03 MST Print View

Thanks for the reply and the post. I guess I am thinking "inside" the box :).