Forum Index » Chaff » Thom Darrah's A Good Man

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Thom Darrah's A Good Man on 01/02/2010 12:38:56 MST Print View

As some of you know I was laid off last September. I'm working again now, but only half of the time that I used to work. Anyway, check my email a couple of weeks ago and there's a pm from Thom Darrah. He asks how I'm doing and asks if I'm back at work. I answer him with pretty much what I explained above.

He then asks how much of the gear that I sold last fall did I actually need in order to go hiking again. I tell him and the next thing I know he's offering to replace some of it.

Now, I'm a pretty independent guy. I take care of myself. I'm not someone who cries over spilled milk. I did what I has to do at the time and sold a lot of my gear. So, I resigned myself with the fact that I probably wouldn't get out this year.

A couple of days pass and I get all this gear that I really needed in the mail.. Not cheap stuff. Good quality brand new(most of it) gear. I was shocked that someone that I barely knew would do something like that for someone he barely knew. Things like this just haven't happened in my world... Until now. It was a little bit of a struggle to accept, because as I said earlier, I take care of myself. Also, I honestly didn't believe he was going to do it. This has been a very humbling experience for me.

Another member of this community offered me the possibly of a one time job. That I am not able to talk about. They asked that I keep it confidential and it's not set in stone. I just want everyone to know that BPL has some very good souls associated with it. It's more than just an online magazine. It's a community... a village. Hope that doesn't sound corny, but it's true. Maybe that's why this magazine survives and does so well... Good Karma, good membership.

I can talk about Thom Darrah and his generosity. I didn't ask for anything. I didn't go looking for anything. This guy just shows up out of the blue to lend a helping hand. The only thing he asked in return was that if things got really rough again, please don't sell this gear AND a simple thank you. Things are looking up this year already, and I want everyone to know that Thom Darrah had something to do with it. Thanks Thom. You're racking up some great karma and your generosity is not taken for granted and is greatly appreciated.

Edited by socalpacker on 01/02/2010 14:12:24 MST.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Golf Clap on 01/02/2010 13:07:26 MST Print View

That was a great post. Way to go Thom. I'm glad things are looking up Kendall. Best wishes.

Ron D
(dillonr) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Thom Darrah's A Good Man on 01/02/2010 13:20:44 MST Print View

Way to go Thom!!! Glad things are turning around for you, Kendall

Andy Berner
(Berner9) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Thom Darrah's A Good Man on 01/02/2010 13:21:49 MST Print View

Very kind of you Thom.

Good luck in 2010 Kendall.

Another reason why BPL is such a great place.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: "Thom Darrah's a Good Man" on 01/02/2010 14:14:51 MST Print View

Thanks guys. I can't wait to be able to pay it forward. Best wishes to everyone for a great 2010.

Edited by socalpacker on 01/02/2010 14:19:30 MST.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: Re: "Thom Darrah's a Good Man" on 01/02/2010 15:11:41 MST Print View

See despite all the bad happenings there is some good out there.

Well done

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Thom Darrah's A Good Man" on 01/02/2010 15:33:04 MST Print View

Top notch stuff! This is seriously the coolest things I've read on this forum. Kendall you are definitely amongst friends here, wow, what an amazing act of selflessness and humility on both ends. Cheers.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Re: "Thom Darrah's a Good Man" on 01/02/2010 16:34:42 MST Print View

Right on! to Kendall, Thom, and Anonymous. It takes a good person to take such an interest in someone they only know from a forum, and another good person to thank them in such a public way. What a positive way start to new year on the BPL forum.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: "Thom Darrah's a Good Man" on 01/02/2010 18:29:45 MST Print View

Nice heartwarming story. It's things like that, that make us a community. Thom, you rock!

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
The Gift in Giving. on 01/02/2010 18:42:58 MST Print View

This thread should not be about me but of Giving. The joy of giving, the gift in giving, of giving back.

The only thanks required is from me.

The fun I had in selecting the items to ship can not easily be expressed. Picking the items and boxing them up for shipping was a true pleasure.

As I stood in the pre-holiday line at the post office, a line literally out the door and onto the sidewalk, I will guarantee that I was the only person smiling. Two plus hours later, as I finally stepped in front of the postal clerk (a clerk also not smiling), I felt truly excited. When the clerk asked if the packages contained anything fragile, perishable or... (whatever the third inquiry is), I said simply "no, just UL". I received a blank look in return.

I have often waited in great anticipation for a package to arrive, gear shipments from MLD, nunatak and others have often kept me on edge for days if not weeks. Waiting to hear that these packages had been delivered was an altogether new experience in anticipation.

If thanks is required it is required of me. Thanks for the kind words and thanks again for providing me the opportunity to feel and enjoy the gift of giving.

Edited by thomdarrah on 01/03/2010 17:47:55 MST.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Thom Darrah's A Good Man on 01/02/2010 18:51:09 MST Print View

Kendall,

This whole story is heartwarming.

Not that we should only help those we like, but you have always struck me as a humble, kind, & good-natured soul.
Thom is obviously of the same mold.

What a great way for us all to start the new year.

Thank you and God Bless.

And Thom, thank you for showing such kindness!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Thom Darrahs a good man on 01/02/2010 19:02:17 MST Print View

Good stuff Thom--Pay it forward!! Very Tribal

Edited by Creachen on 01/02/2010 19:04:54 MST.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Thom Darrah's A Good Man on 01/02/2010 20:27:54 MST Print View

That's what it's all about!

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
well... on 01/03/2010 00:20:54 MST Print View

from your posts kendall, you always seemed completely right on.

so good things happen to good people.

nice one thom!

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: "Thom Darrah's A Good Man" on 01/03/2010 00:42:56 MST Print View

The very best thing that I have read in years.
Thank you both.

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Re: Thom Darrahs a good man on 01/03/2010 17:44:07 MST Print View

this is awesome!!!!! Very heart warming.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Thom Darrah's a Good Man on 01/03/2010 21:41:22 MST Print View

Yup. And not just to the "needy" either. Thom gave away some gear not so long ago -- got myself two pairs of Mountain Hardwear pack shorts. :)

Anitra Kass
(Anitraten) - F

Locale: SoCal
A good man on 01/03/2010 23:42:57 MST Print View

Thom,
That was cool and very much in the spirit of giving. Although your gift of gear was generous enough, I think that the most important gift, the gift of lifting Kendall's spirit, of helping to put his life on a positive, properous path and giving him the opportunity to re-create, rejuvenate and enjoy himself so he can then give more of himself to life, should not be overlooked.

I also understand how doing that creates a gift, a moment, that is so valuable for you.

So thank you for all of that...the world is a little bit better today because of you. And I know that my spirit is lifted today because of you. Thanks again and Happy Trails,
NITRO

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
A Gift in Giving on 01/04/2010 08:17:36 MST Print View

Anitra (NITRO),
Thank you for your kind words. Your adventures are an inspiration to many as I hope this simple gesture of giving may also be.

The satisfaction and joy experienced in reaching out is equal to any UL adventure taken.

The lucky one was/is me,
TD

Christopher Graf
(cgraf) - M

Locale: So Cal
"Thom Darrah's A Good Man" on 01/04/2010 12:27:25 MST Print View

It is people like Thom that make our world a better place; people that create and instill change through generosity and giving selflessly; if the world was made up of Thom Darrah's the world would be close to perfect....

Working in the health care field I'm around co-workers that give their compassion, time, and care to sick members within our community. We get paid for this though....and very few would ever work a shift in the ER without pay. We may feel good about helping someone but nonetheless were receiving monetary compensation...this is where Thom is different as he is only receiving the "feel good gift of giving" - something we all should experience.
I as well have received many items from Thom...they just show up!!!...
His generosity and selflessness is unquestionably remarkable in our current society...no hidden agendas, no you owe me, just a response of "enjoy and put it to good use". I truly believe that he enjoys taking the pleasure in helping and bringing joy to others...this story has brought a smile to my face and lightened my heart...the products although extremely nice are secondary, it is the exceptional act of kindness that a price tag cannot be applied...

Thank you Thom...for being who you are and showing us all a better way!!!

Kendall and all forum members...it's been a blessing to belong to the BPL community...I hope 2010 brings good health, happiness, and prosperity....

Edited by cgraf on 01/04/2010 12:31:52 MST.