Thanks for all the feedback. I tried some of the suggestions.
First thing, I tried washing it in stronger detergent. Thoroughly. This helped maybe 5-10%. Not as much as I had hoped.
Next I tried baking it in the oven for an hour. I had it fairly hot, hotter than suggested - I am in Australia, so it was at 200c. This helped a lot - I could smell the odor while it was "cooking" which I thought was a good sign. After taking it out, and washing it again with detergent, I tested it. I would say this helped around 50% I could still smell the lubricant, but it was a lot better.
Next I tried the boiling a potato trick. I put an oldish potato on with the pot full of water and boiled for about 2 hours, maybe a little more, checking the water level periodically. After I removed the water and washed the pot with detergent once again, I dried and tested. I think this was a great method, the smell was pretty much all gone - I could detect the faintest traces, but it was hard to discern. So for those out there, try this one first. I reckon I was 95% there with this method.
Next on a suggestion from my girlfriend, I rubbed the pot in bicarb of soda, on the presumption that it may just draw out any oils left, and freshen up the pot. I left this overnight, and rinsed it off and dried this morning.
The chemical/lubricant smell is gone. The pot smells clean and fresh. I can still detect some metal smell, but no chemical overtones to it.
So I am declaring my pot safe to eat from. I have been pretty dogged in getting it smelling ok to me, I doubt this is completely necessary on a safety level. Its just important to me that I don't worry about that sort of thing. Thanks again for all your help, I'll be out using this great pot shortly,