(kgottshalk)

Locale: Maine USA
Hig and Erin in the New York Times on 01/01/2010 14:11:10 MST Print View

Nice two page article about their life since their hike in Alaska:
http://goo.gl/B3Mz

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Hig and Erin in the New York Times on 01/01/2010 14:39:00 MST Print View

I became aware of this article because it was linked in the Breaking News section yesterday at lifeaftertheoilcrash.net, which is quite a site if you haven't checked it out.
Hig and Erin are inspiring to not only ultra-light backpackers and adventurers, but to the growing number of people who realize that our oil-dependent lifestyle is coming to and end. It is always interesting to me to see intersections like this occur.
The whole "Broadband Yes, Toilet No" aspect has broad implications. Our modern toilets and sewage systems are idiotic when you think about it. We use enormous amounts of enegy to filter and purify water, so we can put our human waste in it? Isn't there a better way? In addition, it is becoming clear that suburban-style living arrangements are really bad in all sorts of ways, especially in the debt they saddle people with. Yurts and other lower-cost alternative dwellings are a possible alternative. And for long-distance backpackers who are used to living in primitive conditions, it's probably more than adequate. People like Hig and Erin are part of the new vanguard who will show us all that we don't necessarily have to live in a world of right-angle buildings and debt. Two other factoids that jumped out at me: PhD. in geology(hig) and Masters in molecular biology (erin). Awesome.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Hig and Erin in the New York Times on 01/01/2010 15:11:29 MST Print View

Already posted...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/27373/index.html

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: Hig and Erin in the New York Times on 01/01/2010 18:03:36 MST Print View

---

But to them, the sacrifices are worth it. “I’m someone who doesn’t mind giving up some level of convenience for having an interesting experience,” Ms. McKittrick said.

Time holds a higher value for them than the more lucrative jobs they might have had with their advanced degrees. Absent the need to work 9 to 5, there is time for snowshoeing in winter and gathering wild nettles to eat in the spring.

---

I am so jealous. I plan to live like this in my later years. Living an interesting life and experiencing my time on earth in a life fully lived means so much more to me than all the stuff they try to sell me as "normal" and "necessary" in modern society.