Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: RE: "Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?" on 01/05/2010 11:27:01 MST Print View

"Just till you need glasses (Third post down)"

Dang... should have listened to Sister Mary Allen when she told us not to! Guess Douglas didn't listen either...

Benjamin Crowley
(benajah) - F

Locale: West, now
Best advice ever on 01/06/2010 23:14:56 MST Print View

My uncle told me when I was a kid "You only need three things when you go in the woods, a pocket knife, a hatchet, and a bic lighter. If you can't get by with that, you don't have any place being there at all."
He had a good point. If you arent willing to carry all 60 lbs of the gear you need for ever contingency, you have no business being there at all if you cannot take care of yourself when things go south.
I used to work S&R and we never had any sympathy for folks who got themselves into trouble because they didn't carry enough gear on their backs or on their heads. We generally sent the families an invoice for our trouble.
Knowledge can carry you a long way.

Edited by benajah on 01/07/2010 19:56:16 MST.

Andy Ledbetter
(millhouse) - F

Locale: Derbyshire
best piece of advice ever given on 01/07/2010 07:39:18 MST Print View

Argue for your limitations and they will be yours.

Mark Regalia
(markr) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz
Best advice on 01/07/2010 10:06:13 MST Print View

Never visit a place with Mosquito in its name - from personal experience.

It is better to carry an extra 5 pounds than to stay home reading forums and trying to figure out how to shed that extra 5 pounds.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
"Single best piece of advice" on 01/07/2010 19:53:06 MST Print View

Carry more gear and you will like camping more.

Carry less gear and you will enjoy hiking more.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: "Single best piece of advice" on 01/07/2010 20:15:42 MST Print View

one muse once noted that "if you can sleep under a tarp on the ground you can sleep under a tarp above the ground"

best advice ive ever gotten, or given.

Jang-Tian Shieh
(syoten) - MLife

Locale: Taiwan
Re: "Single best piece of advice" on 01/07/2010 20:31:28 MST Print View

Hike more!

YAMABUSHI !
(THUNDERHORSE) - F
Re: hmm on 01/08/2010 01:56:08 MST Print View

Agreed not too much of my life know ledge came via one liner, but here are some things Ive added into my being:

The best way to never worry about getting into shape is to never get out of shape.”
Zabo Koszewski

"Power is not a bad thing to have in excess"

M.T.

"only great pain, as the teacher of great suspicion, the ultimate liberator of the spirit...it is only great pain, that slow protracted pain which takes its time and in which we are as it were burned with green wood, that compels us philosophers to descend into our ultimate depths and to put from us all trust, allthat is good hearted , palliated, gentle, average, wherein perhaps our humanity previously reposed.I doubt whether such pain "improves" us-but I do know it deepens us..."

F. Nietzsche

"There is timing in everything."

"The Viod is good , and contains no evil."

Musashi

To think only of winning is sickness.
To think only of using the Martial arts is sickness.
To think only of demonstrating the results of one's trainging is sickness, as is thinking only of making an attack or waiting for one.
To think in a fixated way only of expelling such sickness is also sickness.
Whatever remains absolutely in the mind should be considered sickness.

Munenori

Jonathan DeYoung
(jdeyoung81) - F

Locale: New England
Re: "Single best piece of advice" on 01/08/2010 05:11:31 MST Print View

Not sure if its been said yet:

"Less is More"

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: "if you can sleep under a tarp on the ground you can sleep under a tarp above the ground" on 01/09/2010 19:37:33 MST Print View

Te-Wa,

Amen brother! Under a tarp and above the ground.

The only place that I was ever comfortable on a CCF pad was in my hammock. Get off the ground and inbetween the trees!

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
the military version... on 01/10/2010 10:37:24 MST Print View

In Army Basic Training, the head drill sergeant told us that if we forgot everything else, that we had to remember two things:
1. Remember to "dress right dress," which means to keep an orderly formation.
2. Keep all of your s*** in one bag.

Decades later, I still remember.
--B.G.--