Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?
Display Avatars Sort By:
D S
(onthecouchagain) - MLife

Locale: Sunny SoCal
Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours? on 01/01/2010 01:48:03 MST Print View

Time to ring in the new year with some good advice. Anyone care to offer up for inspiration, awe and possibly criticism the best piece of advice ever given you?

I will start off with:

"Drink before you feel thirsty, not after." given by an old mountain guide on Mt. Baker, Washington.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
paperbacks on 01/01/2010 03:36:50 MST Print View

In the never ending quest to find a smart alternative substitute for each piece of gear I've decided that paperback novels make a lousy trade for quality toilet paper.

david richardson
(drichi) - MLife

Locale: midwest
From my wife on 01/01/2010 06:53:53 MST Print View

Try not to die out there. dave

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Colin Fletcher on 01/01/2010 06:54:05 MST Print View

Colin Fletcher (and the boy scouts I guess) gave me all my early wisdoms. For the sake of this forum I would have to say his statement that "When planning a house on your back, the weightiest matter is weight"

40 years later it still rings true!

Matt Holmes
(mholmes) - F

Locale: North Texas- Fort Worth
re: best advice on 01/01/2010 07:51:00 MST Print View

Always take your compass, because batteries do die.

hunter nelson
(hunt4car) - F
Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours on 01/01/2010 11:51:28 MST Print View

''dont worry about the small things"

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours? on 01/01/2010 13:42:44 MST Print View

Be Prepared.

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Locale: Earth
Re: Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours? on 01/01/2010 14:05:02 MST Print View

Don't s**t where you sleep. -my grandfather.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours? on 01/01/2010 14:06:28 MST Print View

Don't s**t where you sleep. -my grandfather.

People have to be told that? :)

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Single best piece of advice ever given on 01/01/2010 15:03:18 MST Print View

In the 1950s, My dad and his pal Tom Moore built a big cabin at the end of the road near the east side of the Bob Marshall. Tom's nickname for me was Hubcap. The big people wouldn't let a 5-year old go outside at dark alone when nature called. So one night Tom went with me.

As we stood looking out over the valley lit up by a perfect full moon, Tom said, "Look at that, Hub, ain't it pretty?"

"Uh-huh."

"Hub, whenever you make a tinkle, make sure you're looking at something real nice." (best advice I've ever received, and I've tried to follow it ever since).

Andy Berner
(Berner9) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Single best piece of advice ever given on 01/01/2010 15:19:44 MST Print View

Don't pee into the wind.

Gordon Towne
(gordontowne) - MLife

Locale: New England
Trend on 01/01/2010 15:27:37 MST Print View

It's interesting how many of the above posts deal with elimination...

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
small stuff on 01/01/2010 15:59:28 MST Print View

In the immortal words of my drill sergeant (may he burn in hell):

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2. It's all small stuff.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours? on 01/01/2010 16:01:20 MST Print View

Make noise when trekking into the wind in bear country. I like to sing.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: small stuff on 01/01/2010 16:14:03 MST Print View

My drill sergeant said:

Whenever you expect something to be a certain way and it isn't, you're upset and you suffer. On the other hand, when you let go of your expectations, when you accept life as it is, you're free. To let go is to lighten up.

book reference

(That book can change your life for the better)

Edited by gmatthews on 01/01/2010 16:19:09 MST.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours? on 01/01/2010 17:17:34 MST Print View

It's just walking.

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Re: Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours? on 01/01/2010 17:54:43 MST Print View

I'm waiting for someone to provide the insight that I believe originated from Ghandi (or at least someone of his depth)....

"Don't eat yellow snow."

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours? on 01/01/2010 18:06:09 MST Print View

A Japanese mountain hut owner and mountain guide, who has since become a friend, saw me when I was going through a bad time in my life and was struggling with one particular walk in the mountains, mentally finding everything hard to deal with, sat me down by the wood stove and very quietly and without any judgement whatsoever, said, "Have some tea." That was it. But it said everything I needed to know.

Bill Poett
(wpoett@aol.com) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara
"Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?" on 01/01/2010 20:05:05 MST Print View

" You can rest when your dead"

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
"Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?" on 01/01/2010 22:12:10 MST Print View

Take the time