Long johns and longsleeve patterns
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Long johns and longsleeve patterns on 12/28/2009 13:09:42 MST Print View

Making my first steps in MYOG, and am looking for patterns for a very simple pants and longsleeve. My idea is to make a VBL longsleeve and long johns from silnylon which I already have, but I didn't get any pattern. The Thru-Hiker Liberty Ridge combo looks good, but as I would only need the pattern I am not willing to dish out the 105$ it would cost me to get those two. Any suggestions thus where I can get a pant and longsleeve pattern (I live in Finland, and I know Shelby but their patterns don't fit my plans), or what an alternative could be?

Brady Fulton
(bfulton) - F

Locale: Phoenix Arizona
Re: Long johns and longsleeve patterns on 12/28/2009 13:20:56 MST Print View

Is Shelby a sewing store?

I would recommend a sewing store, usually they have lots of patterns for pretty cheap.

Otherwise, you could find some good fitting clothes from a second hand store and rip out the seams, use the pieces as your pattern. If you do this, you may want to experiment with the cheapest fabric you can find just to make sure the finished garment fits well.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Re: Re: Long johns and longsleeve patterns on 12/29/2009 07:22:04 MST Print View

Hei Brady, Shelby is not really a sewing store, more selling outdoor types of fabrics and some of their own patterns. I wonder if I could just get the pattern from thru-hiker.com, without the material. If not, I think I will follow your idea and check the 2nd hand stores!

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Jalie 2328 Re: Long johns and longsleeve patterns on 12/29/2009 08:12:26 MST Print View

Jalie pattern 2328 covers both top and bottoms. Unfortunately it's out of print, but fortunately you can get it digitally for US$8.99. Also handy for you in Finland is that you don't have to pay shipping and it has metric units. It does seem a bit of hassle because it's set up for A4 size printer where you print out dozens of sheets and tape them together, but apparently there are match marks to make it easy.

I haven't bought it (yet) because I've been trying to find an old stock paper version at a fabric store.

For my kids' long underwear bottoms I just made patterns from some of their pajamas. Using Polartec Powerstretch and Powerdry there is plenty of stretch to make up for any errors in sizing. Shirts would be harder.

Instructions for the Jalie set here:
http://www.jalie.com/product_printing_guide/2328.pdf
Order digital copy here:
http://www.jaliesewingpatterns.com/2009/02/2328-mens-thermal-underwear.html

Edited by jimqpublic on 12/29/2009 08:14:38 MST.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Kiitos! on 01/02/2010 10:42:33 MST Print View

Jim, thanks, those are perfect!