Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Easiest way to add water bottle holder to GG Wisp pack?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Easiest way to add water bottle holder to GG Wisp pack? on 12/27/2009 18:58:49 MST Print View

On the belt, shoulder strap or side...anyone add a water bottle holder to their Wisp or other similar pack?

Looking for various ideas. The easier, the better.

Thanks.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Easiest way to add water bottle holder to GG Wisp pack? on 12/27/2009 23:21:15 MST Print View

How about threading two lengths of shockcords -- secured by a cord lock each -- like this ULA bottle holder?

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

That is certainly simple. on 12/28/2009 11:49:52 MST Print View

Thanks, Benjamin. That is about as simple as it gets. Have you, or anyone else, tried this? I'm wondering how stable this set-up would be.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: That is certainly simple. on 12/28/2009 12:02:50 MST Print View

I've used the shock-cord/cord-locks method -- My experience was that it worked best on bottles that have indents that the cord can grip, like the old style Propel bottles. I did have a bottle slip out a few times, when I wasn't careful to tighten both cords.

I've since switched to a Simblissity BotSpot...

Jonathan DeYoung
(jdeyoung81) - F

Locale: New England
Re: Re: That is certainly simple. on 12/28/2009 12:08:40 MST Print View

I have used the above method (my ULA Circuit came like that). It is really as simple as it gets. I had my water bottle attached for nearly 50 miles like that with no issues. this saves having to reach around into a side pocket to grab your water. so easy to drink and keep going while not having the added weight of a camelback like system.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: That is certainly simple. on 12/28/2009 12:15:51 MST Print View

What the two gentlemen said above. Also, a tall/slim 16-20oz bottle works better than a short/squat one.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Thanks, guys. on 12/28/2009 12:32:04 MST Print View

I use a Klean Kanteen. I think the lip near its mouth would prevent the bottle from sliding out w/ Ula's Holster. On the other hand, the Simblissity does look like a more secure system...although more complicated too (want to make my own).

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Easiest way to add water bottle holder to GG Wisp pack? on 12/28/2009 12:42:52 MST Print View

Just for other ideas:

Alpinlite has a simple bottle holster that mounts on the side of packs.

Mountain Laurel has a shoulder strap bottle pocket.

Edited by Coldspring on 12/28/2009 12:44:36 MST.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Easiest way to add water bottle holder to GG Wisp pack? on 12/28/2009 12:52:34 MST Print View

http://www.mandatorygear.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11&Itemid=25

MYOG solution

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Thanks for all the ideas! on 12/28/2009 17:48:56 MST Print View

Keep them coming, please.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Thanks for all the ideas! on 12/28/2009 23:32:06 MST Print View

How many solutions to you need? Decide and make one already! (j/k)

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Ha on 12/29/2009 09:35:06 MST Print View

After a year of thinking about this, I see no sense in rushing things now. ;-)

Gary Boyd
(debiant) - F

Locale: Mid-west
re on 01/02/2010 20:29:10 MST Print View

what about using the shockcord method described above, and using a bendy straw so that you never even have to remove the bottles. That's actually a great idea... think I'll give it a shot.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

A couple things I tried on 01/03/2010 09:40:27 MST Print View

I finally got around to trying a couple things: mounting on the shoulder strap (various spots up & down the strap) and on the waist belt. I didn't care for either location so I'm thinking I'll just sew some simple pouches to each side of the pack...perhaps out of a 4-way stretch material.

I'm also intrigued by experimenting with an attached bag that rests against the upper abdomen like the one near the bottom of the following page: http://translate.google.se/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.andersj.se&sl=sv&tl=en&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8