Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Need Death Valley Info for March
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben R
(snowfiend131) - MLife

Locale: Western PA
Need Death Valley Info for March on 12/27/2009 17:48:09 MST Print View

Hi All,

I may be heading to Death Valley in March with my wife. We'll be there for a week or so, and will likely reserve at least a couple days for driving around and seeing what we can by car. The rest of the time, we'd like to be hiking.

Any ideas for backpacking routes? I know very little about the park, my research has just begun. We could take one 5 night hike, or a couple 2 to 3 night hikes, to see different locations. We travel light, but not that fast - 8 to 10 miles per day if flat, 6-8 miles per day if lots of elevation gain. Water sources will obviously be a concern.

Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Ben

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Cottonwood/Marble Canyon on 12/27/2009 18:49:16 MST Print View

Last March I did the Cottonwood Canyon/Marble Canyon Loop after a blizzard forced me out of the Sierras. I believe the loop is 26 miles with about 3000k in elevation gain. There was some water to be found though you will be sharing with horses and other critters. Bring a good map! I relied on a GPS and the small screen was insufficient for the complex terrain in those canyons. My trip ended up being a 32 mile day hike! Highly recommend.