Southeast Backpacking Light Group?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Southeast Backpacking Light Group? on 12/26/2009 12:58:01 MST Print View

Are any of you south-easterners interested in forming a backpacking light group? The main objective would be to meet new people and organize trips (or post your trip announcements so that others can join you). Personally, going ultralight and therefore doing more miles per day has definitely left me with fewer people to backpack with. I was thinking of using facebook or yahoo groups to help organize, but am open to any other ideas.

Thoughts?

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Southeast Backpacking Light Group? on 12/26/2009 13:10:46 MST Print View

Search for your options on meetup.com as there are likely quite a few already around.

Joseph Jacaruso
(CaptainJac) - MLife

Locale: Southeast
Southeast Backpacking Light Group on 12/26/2009 14:46:39 MST Print View

Yes, I'm interested. I would love to hike with some fellow easteners that don't roll their eyes at me when I show up without a pack towering over my head!

Stephen Cohen
(esteban)

Locale: Southeast U.S.
interested on 12/26/2009 20:50:57 MST Print View

I would also be interested in this. Haven't found too many folks who are interested in backpacking the way I like to. I often either go solo or slow down a lot to make a trip happen.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Re: Southeast Backpacking Light Group on 12/26/2009 20:56:37 MST Print View

Joeseph and Stephen -

What medium do you think we should use to help facilitate this? Facebook? Yahoo Groups? Meetup? Other?

I would love to hear from everyone that wants to be a part of this. I want this to be OUR group and everyone to have ownership.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Southeast Backpacking Light Group on 12/26/2009 21:00:48 MST Print View

" Facebook? Yahoo Groups? Meetup? Other?"

FWIW, Meetup will cost you around $150 per year (but you can charge a membership fee to offset this if you wish). It's got a lot of good options that you certainly wouldn't find on Facebook, but whether it's worth it or not depends on what you want to get out of it.

Best of luck. If I lived further south I'd join in a second!

alan york
(alanyork9) - MLife

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.
Southeast BPL group on 12/26/2009 21:04:22 MST Print View

Count me in....Face Book is easy....would be fun to share some local favorite hikes.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Southeast Backpacking Light Group? on 12/26/2009 21:06:34 MST Print View

I'm in N. FL but I do have interest! I am a bit of an outcast....I refuse to get on facebook!!!!

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: Southeast Backpacking Light Group? on 12/27/2009 07:35:38 MST Print View

Brad, Count me in, let me know if you need any help.

Jamie

Stephen Cohen
(esteban)

facebook on 12/27/2009 11:34:47 MST Print View

Seems to be the way to go to me. Most people (sorry Todd) have an account already and it's free.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Re: facebook on 12/27/2009 16:35:36 MST Print View

I started a facebook group if anyone wants to join up. We will see how it goes and decide if that meets our needs or if we need something more. Please give any suggestions or feedback that you may have.

Facebook BPL Group

alan york
(alanyork9) - MLife

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.
FACE BOOK on 12/27/2009 16:44:23 MST Print View

Thanks for starting this group!One click on your link and its done!

Matt Holmes
(mholmes) - F

Locale: North Texas- Fort Worth
Great Idea on 12/27/2009 16:58:48 MST Print View

This is a great idea on your part. I wish I was in the Southeast instead of Texas. May need to start a Texas thread.........

Stephen Cohen
(esteban)

Hooray on 12/27/2009 17:41:43 MST Print View

Thanks Bradford. Just joined up. Can't wait to share my future plans. Likely a Standing Indian trip in the near future.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: facebook on 12/27/2009 17:54:46 MST Print View

" Most people (sorry Todd) have an account "

No problem! I know I'm in the minority here! My wife gives me he*&!! I may have to get on facebook.

Stephen Cohen
(esteban)

re:re: facebook on 12/27/2009 18:05:03 MST Print View

I didn't sign on for a solid six months and have recently been on a lot in order to keep up with family. I am often not into keeping up with technology. I just got text messaging this week!

Robert Carver
(Rcarver) - MLife

Locale: Southeast TN
Re: Re: Re: Southeast Backpacking Light Group/Facebook on 12/27/2009 18:10:31 MST Print View

Brad, the SBLG sounds like a great idea.

I am slowly getting on the tech. wagon. Got my first computer and digital camera last year. Got an ipod and texting on my cell phone this year.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn)

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Re: Re: Re: Southeast Backpacking Light Group/Facebook on 12/27/2009 18:26:01 MST Print View

Count me in.

JJ Mathes
(JMathes) - F

Locale: Southeast US
Re: Re: facebook on 12/27/2009 18:45:45 MST Print View

Todd- you're not the only one that doesn't use FB, I don't either, but I'm interesting in a ULBP group in the SE

Eddy Walker
(Ewker)

Locale: southeast
Re: Re: Re: facebook on 12/27/2009 19:43:58 MST Print View

add me to the list of folks who doesn't use Facebook. I am trying to go UL but it is slow going. Not sure I can keep up with the way Brad hikes.