Forum Index » Chaff » Wim Hof - "Iceman"

Display Avatars Sort By:
Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Wim Hof - "Iceman" on 12/26/2009 10:56:47 MST Print View

Wim Hof
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wim Hof

"Iceman" Wim Hof immersed in an ice bath.
Born 20 April 1959 (age 50)
Sittard, Limburg, Netherlands
Nationality Dutch
Occupation Record breaker
Website
www.innerfire.nl
Wim Hof (born 20 April 1959, in Sittard, Limburg) is a Dutch world record holder, adventurer and daredevil, commonly nicknamed the Iceman for his ability to withstand extreme coldness. He holds nine world records including a world record for longest ice bath.[1] In 2007, he attempted, but failed, to climb Mount Everest wearing nothing but shorts.[2][3] Hof has been criticized for his stated justifications for this attempt, "Edmund Hillary's ascent of Mount Everest was a testament to human achievement, my climb of Mount Everest in my shorts will be a monument to the frivolous, decadent nature of modern society."[4]
Wim broke his previous world record by staying for 1 hour 13 minutes and 48 seconds immersed in ice at Guinness World Records 2008. The night before, he performed the act on the Today Show. Dr. Kenneth Kamler monitored the event to explain the effects of using the Tantric practice Tummo to control your body temperature. Tummo has been practiced by Yogi monks in Tibet. Apparently Wim is the only known non-monk to have mastered Tummo. Wim describes his ability to withstand extreme cold temperatures as being able to turn his own thermostat up by using his brain.
Wim Hof has recently broken the ice endurance record by standing fully immersed in ice for 1 hour and 42 minutes in Madrid, Spain in 2009.
In February 2009, Wim Hof reached the top of Mount Kilimanjaro in his shorts within 2 days. It took him only another 2 days to climb down. [5]
In 2009, Wim completed a full marathon 42.195 kilometres above the polar circle in Finland in temperatures close to -20 degrees celsius. He achieved this feat dressed in nothing but shorts and sandals, and finished in 5 hours, 25 minutes. The challenge was filmed by Firecrackerfilms, who make productions for the BBC, Channel 4 and National Geographic.
He has four children with his late wife, and one child with his present[when?] girlfriend.

Edited by huzefa on 12/26/2009 11:01:54 MST.

Phil Brown
(pbrown19)

Locale: Traverse City MI
iceman on 12/28/2009 14:21:01 MST Print View

"Wim describes his ability to withstand extreme cold temperatures as being able to turn his own thermostat up by using his brain."

This sounds incredible dubious.

Edited by pbrown19 on 12/28/2009 14:23:34 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: iceman on 12/28/2009 15:35:39 MST Print View

> This sounds incredible dubious.
Yeah, I entirely agree, but he sits in an ice bath for an awful long time, doesn't he? I put observed facts over theory in this case.

Perhaps 'incredibly hard to achieve' might be more appropriate? After all, he is the only one.

Cheers

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
The Iceman on 12/29/2009 00:51:28 MST Print View

I watched the TV documentary about him running his Arctic marathon in shorts and sandals. He seemed like an amazing guy. The first thing he did when he crossed the finishing line was light up a cigarette, and crack open a cold beer! He was standing around half naked in very cold temps, smoking and drinking beer as if he was at a beach party!

At one point in the programme, he was being tested in some university. They attached an internal thermometer to him, and he sat fully submerged in a bath of ice. After some time, his internal temperature started to rise! He said he could do that through meditation. Who knows.