November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Light Bag as a Quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
john braun
(Hitman) - F

Locale: West Florida
Light Bag as a Quilt on 12/20/2009 15:39:53 MST Print View

I currently have two decent 25-30 degree bags that I like. However, in the winter I may need something to keep me warm down to 15 degrees.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 1 pound bag like the Marmot pounder to use as a quilt in conjunction with my 30 degree Sierra Laser bag.

Is this a good idea? Some of these bag "inserts" weigh almost a pound anyway, but I just don't know if putting a 40 degree bag over me will surpass what an insert will do.

Millette Jones
(ttaboro) - F

Locale: Southeast
over bag on 12/20/2009 15:51:46 MST Print View

I use a 30* montbell down bag with a 35* rei down bag modified as a quilt (zipper and hood removed) down to the twenties. I'll qualify this by saying I sleep cold and can only use the 30* bag down to about 35*-40*.

The montbell is 23 ounces and the rei is 15 ounces. I use the quilt in the summer and the montbell in fall and spring (Tennessee) and both in winter. I was able to get the rei bag on clearance for $80 so that was a better financial solution for me than to get a new 15-20* down bag to use for just one or two winter trips each year.