WInter multi-day trip Mt. Rogers
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: WInter multi-day trip Mt. Rogers on 12/24/2009 13:08:03 MST Print View

Brad, It sounds like you and I hike similar distances and styles. I too have hard time finding lightweight folks to head out for a few days. I'd definately be up for meeting some folks in the area. I have half toyed with starting a BPL Southeast Hiking Club. It seems like there are a fair number of us that Hike VA/NC/GA/TN areas.

Jamie

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: re: WInter multi-day trip Mt. Rogers on 12/24/2009 14:05:57 MST Print View

If you end up starting something like that count me in. I have posted a few trips on the trip announcements page with little interest, and have missed a few trips there myself because I like many probably don't frequent that area enough. It seems like, though there are a few of us here in the Southeast, that there are many more here out west or in the northeast.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: re: WInter multi-day trip Mt. Rogers on 12/24/2009 14:17:16 MST Print View

There are certainly a number from the MidAtlantic, but I once (not too long ago) posted in the forum about perhaps starting a BPL MidAtlantic chapter, only got one response.

I'd be up for some trips further south. Not a lot, as the drive is quite a long one, but I'd certainly like to know about them!

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: re: WInter multi-day trip Mt. Rogers on 12/26/2009 20:58:27 MST Print View

So we would quit hijacking this thread, I created one in the General forum.

Jonathon Rogers
(signet77)

Locale: East TN
Nice weather ahead... on 12/28/2009 21:23:33 MST Print View

Looks like the lows will only be 15-18 Tues night and 25-30 Wed night so I'll be able to save a pound and go with the Golite Adrenaline 20 instead of the zero degree bag!

I can wear my MB Down Inner Pants and Micro Puff Pullover with Integral Designs Hot Socks to bed if I need to stretch it down to 5-10 degrees.

Also since there is no snow forecast, we will bring and share weight on the Seedhouse SL3 since my hiking partner's solo tent is 4 lbs on it's own so it will help him out.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Re: Nice weather ahead... on 12/28/2009 22:40:41 MST Print View

Have a good trip, I'd love to see the pics. That is a great area.

Jonathon Rogers
(signet77)

Locale: East TN
Wow...what a trip on 12/31/2009 21:33:03 MST Print View

Well, it was an awesome trip. We ended up getting shuttled to Elk Garden as to not have to leave a car, but in hindsight, Massie Gap would have been the better place to be to not have to reply on a shuttle and for ease of being able to bug-out if an alternate route is taken.

So, the weather...wow. Although air temps warmed up the second day throughout the day, the overnight low where we camped on day 1 was zero right on the money and good strong winds. We were about 0.8 north of Thomas Knob at about 5500'. The last mile to the campsite at 5000-6000' was tough ice-breaking and tough route-finding!

We were tired but plenty warm over the first night. Shelter and sleep systems worked fine.

We expected the cold...what we really didn't expect was the amount of icy crust that had frozen over the 12-18" of snow due to the 30-40mph winds the day before. It slowed us WAY down and we didn't make NEARLY the progress we expected on the second day. Every step was like kicking steps...crunch through the ice to get to the snow so that you had real traction. Kahtoola ice spikes would have been nice to have for some of the sections! We were breaking trail most of the way...hard work!

Also, route-finding was surprisingly tough because every blaze on a rock or tree was covered with rime ice!

Here are a few pics

Day 1 ascending to Mt. Rogers from Elk Garden:

Ascending to Mt. Rogers

Day 2 morning sky and views:

Morning sky 1

Morning Sky 2

We brought high gaiters on MRO's recommendation...and were glad we did-here's my hiking partner in the snow for scale:

Snow drifts

The ponies didn't care:

Ponies

You can see the layer of ice reflecting in the sun:Trail 1

Trail 2

Toward Massie Gap:

Toward Massie Gap

What a place! I'll definitely be back again! I updated my final gear list back at the top of the first post to reflect everything I ended up bringing.

Edited by signet77 on 12/31/2009 21:38:51 MST.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Re: Wow...what a trip on 01/01/2010 08:57:46 MST Print View

Sounds like you had a good trip. Thanks for sharing!

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: WInter multi-day trip Mt. Rogers on 01/01/2010 12:53:22 MST Print View

Nicely done! and zero degrees for the first night. The pictures look great.

Jamie