ti-tri
Display Avatars Sort By:
Blair Gentes
(blastreach) - F
ti-tri on 12/19/2009 13:19:35 MST Print View

I was looking in the trail designs ti-tri as an alcohol/wood stove for my SP900.

I already have a bushbuddy ultra, but I'd rather have something lighter for predominently alcohol use, with the option to use wood.

Now, the price seems pretty steep, and I already have some titanium sheets.

That being said, I've been searching for threads of do it yourself ti-tris. Cannot find any.

I could just wing it and make a simple caldera cone of any dimension, but I keep reading that the exact dimensions along with the exact stove are what makes trail designs calderas and ti-tris so efficient.

Is it worth persuing the exact dimensions, or should i just grab some money from the cookie jar and buy one?

Thanks,
Blair

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
DIY Ti-Tri on 12/20/2009 10:01:58 MST Print View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VerP7-aiEBw

If you already have the Ti, I'd build one. I'd also suggest that you build your first prototype out of paper, so any mistakes dont cost you that expensive Ti.

Michael Theiler
(MichaelST) - F

Locale: Annandale
Ti Tri on 12/20/2009 14:09:55 MST Print View

I found this link helpful. Its a calculator for a cone.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/antti.lusila/models/laskekartio.html

I've only made paper ones so far, I am yet to nail down the perfect size and design with it (am thinking an upside down cone on the inside, to experiment with a double wall design)

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

Locale: Central Oklahoma
Re: DIY Ti-Tri on 12/21/2009 08:56:05 MST Print View

"first prototype out of paper"

Or Aluminum

Blair Gentes
(blastreach) - F
re: ti tri on 12/21/2009 13:41:46 MST Print View

Is a perfect cone shape the most efficient, or is there some sort of variant? Like a wider/thinner base?

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: ti-tri on 12/22/2009 10:51:43 MST Print View

I'd say just raid the cookie jar and buy a ti-tri... you won't regret it. I also really like the Inferno insert, and am guessing you'd get good pricing buying the combo? At the very least, I'd buy their rig and learn from it to work with your other pots.

Connie Dodson
(ConnieDodson) - F

Locale: Montana
tri-ti for your stove on 12/30/2009 17:18:17 MST Print View

The Caldera Cone has a nice fastening. It is a genius design. Reward the designer with money.

I have already purchased one.

I want to make my own because I want to use my choice of alcohol stove and experiment with an alternative design white gas stove, as well.

I have sent for the Zelph BudLyte Super Stove for alcohol and Super Stove for Coleman gas. He used a Mountain Dew can, so I suggested the name MountainLyte.

I am using the small program http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/22357/URN/5/dt/4/srchdte/0/cp/1/v/8/sp/ mentioned in White Blaze thread:http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50705&highlight=caldera+clone

I sent a "PM" to "captain paranoia". He sent me his most recent refinement on his small program.

I have windows so Ghostscript and Ghostgum are required for the little program to run.

His program allows you to change any variable you like.

1. stove height
2. height of pot above stove
3. pot diameter and pot depth
4. diameter of base

not in that order.

These are the important variables, as far as I am concerned.

I, too, like a wider base of the cone.

I also saw a convenient method to determine optimum pot height: bring water to a rolling boil in your pot on your stove, then, lift higher until rolling boiling stops, then, lower until rolling boil returns and that is your optimum pot height.

I saw that at the WhiteBlaze.net forum.

Edited by ConnieDodson on 12/30/2009 17:33:09 MST.

Blair Gentes
(blastreach) - F
re: ti-tri on 12/31/2009 14:19:09 MST Print View

Thanks for your input guys. I think I am just going to buy one anyways: they didn't go through all that testing for nothing. Though, I will replicate on my own for my other pots/ whatever others I come across in the future.

Thanks,
Blair

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
I'm on BPL too... on 01/07/2010 12:26:36 MST Print View

> I sent a "PM" to "captain paranoia".

I'm on here, too, Connie, which might make it easier for people to PM for the latest Clone script.

I notice from Caldera Fissure Wiki that Trail Designs seem to have given up with the Fissure. My script has a different method of creating a split cone, using inter-digitated fingers, which seems to work nicely to make a Flissure that fits in an MSR Titan kettle, and seems stable in use.

I'd love to see pictures of your titanium Clones when you're done (spotted a mention on another thread). The Cicerone guidebook writer, Paddy Dillon, has recently made one of my SqueezeBox stoves in TiGoat's foil, and it's so much more robust than aluminium, so I'm very tempted to get some and play myself.

Edited by captain_paranoia on 01/07/2010 12:29:54 MST.