Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Joe Valesko of Zpack's new 9oz tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Compton
(rasputen) - F

Locale: West of the Great Smoky Mtn's
2 Person Version on 12/20/2009 10:52:28 MST Print View

I'm leaning pretty hard toward the 2 person version. This gives me extra space when solo(6'3" and like a little extra space) and additional space for one of the kids when they join me.

I like the Gossamer Gear Polycryo ground sheet and can rig up a "cheaper door" option this way in the event of inclement weather. Just a thought... Looking forward to additional details.

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Re: Re: Joe Valesko of Zpack's new 9oz tent on 12/20/2009 11:35:19 MST Print View

My ears were burning...

I had one of the prototypes of the Hexamid. It is a truly minimalistic shelter which should excite many on this forum. In fact, I think it will be a huge seller.

For me, however, I had the same problem with it as I do a lot of gear. Despite the fact that it is 9' long, it simply didn't fit me. The slope of the ceiling was always on my feet and was either touching my face or a couple inches from it (this is without a bag/quilt or pad which meant it would have been even worse). To remedy the problem, I needed to slide to the open side to gain some advantage from the pitch. This put me right on the edge of the shelter itself which meant I would need to put all the faith in the world that I wouldn't move around a lot and that the weather would be kind. If there is one thing I can't stand and can't sleep in, it is rain splatter. Overall, it was just too small.

Basically, I’m holding out for the two person version which will be a foot wider and utilize another trekking pole. This configuration should raise the useable area of the pitch enough to get it off my face and feet and make it more useful overall.

So my vote is for big guys to pass on it. I’m 6’6” and 285, so if you’re anywhere close, I’d say it just isn’t the right gear for people our size. That’s not to knock Joe’s product because it is a really unique piece of gear, but just to say that most gear out there isn’t really made for people who can’t work at ceiling fan stores.

hunter nelson
(hunt4car) - F
more pics on 12/20/2009 14:53:55 MST Print View

i want a pic of some one in it

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Re: more pics on 12/20/2009 16:08:23 MST Print View

This is about as close as you're going to get...

Hexamid

Edited by regultr on 12/20/2009 16:08:53 MST.

hunter nelson
(hunt4car) - F
wow on 12/20/2009 17:18:17 MST Print View

ohhh it looks soooo good!
now i cant decide if i want a duo mid, solo mid,
or hexa mid!

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: wow on 12/20/2009 17:40:23 MST Print View

now i cant decide if i want a duo mid, solo mid, or hexa mid!

Not a bad problem to have, eh?

hunter nelson
(hunt4car) - F
ya on 12/20/2009 18:49:14 MST Print View

very true
i laughed so hard when you said that because i almost typed the same exact words :)

Phil Brown
(pbrown19)

Locale: Traverse City MI
... on 12/20/2009 19:17:31 MST Print View

I wonder if Joe hasn't switched to building gear full time, seeing how he is adding more products since his return from the CDT. I have been using a cuben tarp he made for me the past 2 seasons, and I must say his workmanship and quality are outstanding. I have no doubt anything he puts out it going to be great.

George Geist
(geist) - M

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: more pics on 12/20/2009 21:19:09 MST Print View

Thanks for the picture.

It looks like the point of the tent pole is sticking through the noseeum floor. Is there a grommet for the point to keep the pole from poking holes in the net floor?

The Brawny, which had a similar design, had a lot of problems with condensation. What has been your experience in that regard?

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Joe Valesko of Zpack's new 9oz tent on 12/21/2009 00:31:22 MST Print View

This looks like the "Holy Grail". Wow. 9 oz for that! or 3.3 oz for a nice tarp/shelter. Decision decision, but I hope I can get one!

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Re: Re: more pics on 12/21/2009 09:20:20 MST Print View

@ Al

The trekking pole handle is inside the tent in a reinforced cup at the peak of the tarp. It then runs through the mosquito netting outside the tent to the ground which negates the need for a grommet. The area where it passes through is nothing more than a small patch of Cuben with a slice in it big enough for the pole to pass through.

Because it has one big window and can be raised up at all sides, the ventilation is top notch.

Keep in mind, the picture above was taken by Joe. The quilt you see, I believe, is one of his homemade versions. It seems to me Joe is somewhere in the ballpark of 5'5"-5'7" (sorry, I can't remember but he is under 6'), so for size references, assume you're looking at a quilt to fit someone that size. He said he could stretch his arms over the top of his head with no problem. For the averaged size person, this might be a great fit for a true UL'er. Keep in mind though, the pitch of the tarp is steep, so it comes down at a hard angle at the corners and doesn't make it useful for heads or feet, but might work fine for gear.

Edited by regultr on 12/21/2009 09:21:44 MST.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: Re: Re: more pics on 12/21/2009 10:17:24 MST Print View

I'm curious as to how much room is above one's head, if one is, say 6 feet tall. I have a Cuben Refuge X, which is a fine tent, but because it slopes down quite a bit, there isn't much room above the head. My wife and I decided to stick with our Squall 2 for that reason. I have kept the Refuge X, but only use it for solo trips.

By the way, I like the picture (it helps a lot). What I really like, though, is drawings like this: http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1_2.html

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
Tarp only stuffed on 12/21/2009 12:11:04 MST Print View

I will set up my tarp version and take a pic of me inside for reference when I have more time, but here is a pic of the tarp in its stuff sack. It's a wee little package. It weighs a lot less than a piano ;)hextarp

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: Joe Valesko of Zpack's new 9oz tent on 12/21/2009 15:37:35 MST Print View

Can it be set up decently with a fixed length pole (115cm)?

-Barry

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
fixed pole on 12/21/2009 16:16:58 MST Print View

I really have not been able to set mine up as of yet... setup instructions for both the tent and the tarp read 'Adjust your trekking pole to about 45" to 46".'

Of course those are the setup instructions that were included with the tarp I received... I cannot say if these are the finished specs and that the shelters are finalized and release ready, as they are not available for sale at this time. So take the above with a grain of salt. But, I am pretty sure that the one I have is the one that will be offered for sale when he starts taking orders.

Folks, I can honestly say that this Hexamid Tarp is very well made... as nice as anything I have received from the other highly respected cottage gear makers... this may even be nicer. I am really impressed, and I think this shelter is gonna drive Joe batty... seeing as he is going to have to make a whoooollllle lot of 'em ;)

Edited by goldenmeanie on 12/21/2009 16:55:01 MST.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
"Hexamid" on 12/21/2009 19:32:34 MST Print View

Great name for a tent. Amazing that Golite or others hadn't already used it.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
Link to the hexamid and photos on 12/21/2009 20:47:58 MST Print View

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: Link to the hexamid and photos on 12/21/2009 22:29:23 MST Print View

Very cool, great images and an even better weight, Oh to have an endless supply of cash :)

mark vasko
(vaskma) - F

Locale: Central Ohio
"Zpack's new 9oz tent" on 12/22/2009 07:40:12 MST Print View

This looks very similar to the SMD Oasis sil nylon tent at 13 oz with no floor.

Edited by vaskma on 12/22/2009 07:41:23 MST.

Robert Richey
(BobR) - M

Locale: San Luis Obispo
wind-driven rain on 12/22/2009 22:17:20 MST Print View

It seems with this design that you would need to be prepared to repitch if it was raining and the wind shifted.