(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Japanese Song -- Anyone? on 12/17/2009 01:54:49 MST Print View

I remember enjoying this song as a kid.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Japanese Song -- Anyone? on 12/17/2009 03:16:36 MST Print View

It's so cool hearing that song again! It used to be one of my favorites when I was a kid. The name of the song is, "Kaze", "Wind". I still love it and the words are great. It's basically about losing someone and going for a long walking journey and trying not to feel the sadness. Along the way something keeps catching the singer's attention, but when he turns around there is nothing but the wind. This is the version that made the song famous, though, by The Folk Crusaders.

Here is Kuwata Keisuke, the leader of the wonderful band Southern All Stars, singing another version.

Here are some other old, wonderful Japanese songs:

Hanayome (Bride)

Kanashikute Yarikirenai (Such Sadness That I Can't Go On), also The Folk Crusaders.

Imujin-gawa (Imujin River). Also featuring The Folk Crusaders, singing a translation of a famous Korean song.

And another walking song: Kaeri Michi (The Walk Home), by another favorite group when I was a kid, Alice.

And for my favorite television show when I was a kid, a lone walking samurai named Kogarshi Monjiro. Here's the show's theme song. Take a look at his walking gear... THAT'S UL! And that's how Japanese really dressed for their long distance walks (there was almost no wheeled transport in those days in Japan).

Photobucket

Edited by butuki on 12/17/2009 03:46:25 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Japanese Song -- Anyone? on 12/17/2009 09:53:16 MST Print View

Thanks for sharing your songs, Miguel!

Growing up in Taiwan in the 70's -- Japanese songs were forbidden -- so folks simply translated them into Chinese. I think probably a third of the "Chinese" songs we listened to started life as Japanese! :)

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: Japanese Song -- Anyone? on 12/17/2009 10:24:06 MST Print View

And now it's swinging the other way. Many young Japanese are now listening to Korean and Chinese pop music and record numbers of students are studying Korean and Chinese, something you would never have seen 30 years ago!

PS... In the photo you can see Monjiro wearing straw sandals while making a new pair. The sandals were used for threes days of walking before being thrown away and a new pair donned.

Edited by butuki on 12/17/2009 10:25:13 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Japanese Song -- Anyone on 12/17/2009 10:35:03 MST Print View

Wow... isn't that a lot of work for three days' usage?

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: Japanese Song -- Anyone on 12/17/2009 10:37:22 MST Print View

You should see how fast the old people are when making basketry. And besides, what else do you do when you're sitting around in camp after dinner and you're going UL with no entertainment whatsoever?

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: Japanese Song -- Anyone on 12/17/2009 10:51:19 MST Print View

Here are some videos on making the straw sandals (waraji)

Making Waraji part 1

Making Waraji part 2

Traditional waraji maker at a festival, taking about making them.

In the last video the sandal maker says that it takes about 30 minutes to make a sandal.

Some instructions:

Instructions for making waraji 1

Instructions for making waraji 2

Edited by butuki on 12/17/2009 10:54:30 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Japanese Song -- Anyone? on 12/17/2009 16:08:22 MST Print View

"Here's the show's theme song."

What a beautifully evocative song. It perfectly captured the spirit of being on the move for me. Sent a chill down my spine. Thanks, Miguel.