Forum Index » GEAR » spot2 recall program

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
spot2 voluntary recall program on 12/14/2009 23:26:37 MST Print View

possible performance issues: http://www.findmespot.com/exchange/

Edited by verber on 12/14/2009 23:27:30 MST.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Santa on 12/14/2009 23:35:01 MST Print View

Looks like Santa is bringing me a defective toy. Thanks for sharing.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: spot2 voluntary recall program on 12/15/2009 01:13:18 MST Print View

Lame. I was going to buy one tomorrow!

Seems like they should offer something more than a free month of service.

Hartley F
(backpackerchick) - MLife

Locale: Planet Earth
Not very specific on 12/15/2009 07:37:01 MST Print View

December 14, 2009

Dear Valued Customer,

Spot LLC is dedicated to providing the highest quality and best performance products to our customers, therefore,
Spot LLC will be conducting a voluntary return on any new model SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger ™ (SPOT 2)
purchased since October 1, 2009. During recent testing, we discovered that some of the new SPOT 2 devices might
not meet battery and messaging operating specifications.

We highly recommend you return your product for replacement at your earliest convenience. Please visit
www.findmespot.com/exchange for complete details. Replacement product will be available in early 2010. Spot LLC
guarantees we will exchange your product free of charge and send your replacement unit when product is available.

This notice does not affect the original SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker (SPOT 1) devices. Customers can easily
identify the unaffected SPOT 1 product as it is clearly marked as the SPOT Personal Tracker. The operating condition
does not apply to any other SPOT products.

Sincerely,

The SPOT Team

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Update to Spot 2 Recall on 01/13/2010 23:20:05 MST Print View

Got this today...

Dear SPOT customer,

We thank you again for your cooperation with the SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger (SPOT 2) Return Program. You recently submitted your return claim at http://www.findmespot.com/exchange.

Your return materials have been sent to the address that you provided. They should have already arrived or will be arriving any moment now! Please follow the instructions enclosed with your return materials to send back your SPOT 2 as soon as you can. Please disregard this message if you have already done so.

Have a great day,

The SPOT Team

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Update to Spot 2 Recall on 01/23/2010 17:40:51 MST Print View

How nice. And until they replace the you're left w/o a safety device I take it? That's really great if you had a trip planned.

HJ

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Update to Spot 2 Recall on 01/23/2010 19:04:32 MST Print View

> And until they replace the you're left w/o a safety device I take it?
Given past experiences with SPOT 1, does it really count as a reliable safety device yet?

Cheers

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Re: Re: Update to Spot 2 Recall on 01/23/2010 19:17:03 MST Print View

As far as my wife knows... yes, it is a faultlessly reliable safety device. Don't screw this up for me, Rog.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Update to Spot 2 Recall on 01/23/2010 20:49:17 MST Print View

Can you imagine a Spot company meeting where they are sitting around planning their future?

LOL

On their website they are looking to fill a position since Nov...

Globalstar is currently seeking an Interface Engineer for a 6 month assignment/contract to work on two new SPOT products. Both products require significant new hardware and software development.

MAYBE Spot 3 and Spot 4.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Recall? Ha! More like RETURN! on 01/23/2010 21:01:46 MST Print View

I just saw that ACR has an "I'm OK" feature on their new PLBs. My SPOT2 is going back to REI.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Recall? Ha! More like RETURN! on 01/23/2010 21:16:29 MST Print View

Hi Juston,

I see that, but I also see "Optional subscription service." Do you know anything more about it?

http://www.acrelectronics.com/product2.aspx?sku=2885

Cheers,

Rick

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Recall? Ha! More like RETURN! on 01/23/2010 21:20:10 MST Print View

@JT - Thanks for the ACR news

406link.com

saw this related...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cobham-Acquires-SafeLife-prnews-61601416.html?x=0&.v=1

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Re: Update to Spot 2 Recall on 01/23/2010 21:34:40 MST Print View

I confess this concept has me more interested than the one-box solution.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27545

Cheers,

Rick

Juston Taul
(Junction)

ACR Subscription Details "I'm OK" on 01/23/2010 22:29:41 MST Print View

406Link: $39.99 Annual Subscription
With 406Link you can test your beacon multiple times through the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite system! You’ll get peace of mind knowing your beacon is working properly with self test confirmation messages sent to your cell phone and email. (With this basic package, messages are sent only to the account owner.)

406Link Plus: $59.99 Annual Subscription
With the 406Link Plus, you get all of the testing power of the basic 406Link plan, PLUS the added features of multiple SMS and email messaging (up to 5 contacts), trip planning, and GPS test location — all for $59.99. Newer, GPS-enabled PLBs will also allow you to send “I’m Ok, I’m here” messages with a hyperlink map of your GPS location.

ACR Coverage

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Re: ACR Subscription Details "I'm OK" on 01/23/2010 23:52:35 MST Print View

Thanks Juston, good info.

Man, Roger gets left out again (but those lucky Kiwis...).

Cheers,

Rick

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: ACR Subscription Details "I'm OK" on 01/24/2010 07:31:33 MST Print View

Here's what I see as the problem with the ACR "I'm OK" service. The battery costs $160 and has to be installed by a dealer. That's makes for pretty expensive messaging, and since you can't bring spare batteries, may leave you SOL when you're not "OK."

Edited by dsmontgomery on 01/24/2010 07:32:13 MST.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: spot2 voluntary recall program on 01/24/2010 09:25:28 MST Print View

I contacted Spot to ask them if they have fixed their problems. After pressing submit: "High e-mail volume:
Currently we are experiencing a high volume of e-mails. Response to e-mails can take up to 5 business days. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause and look forward to assisting you."

http://www.findmespot.com/en/contactus/index.php

ps - I will update with their response when I get one.

Edited by marti124 on 01/24/2010 09:26:01 MST.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: ACR Subscription Details "I'm OK" on 01/24/2010 11:07:31 MST Print View

I agree with Devin. The ACR looks like a nice step in the right direction, but the expensive proprietary battery (not to mention the 9-oz weight) means it's not gonna be in my pack this year.

Another year or two should bring some really innovative and lightweight messaging devices for backpackers. :)

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Re: Re: ACR Subscription Details "I'm OK" on 01/24/2010 13:40:28 MST Print View

@ Devin

You make a great point. I didn't realize that the battery was that costly. Average runtime of 30 hours. Not cost effective. Perhaps I'll stick with SPOT2 after all.

Thanks for your input.

ETA - Let's not forget the ability of the SPOT system to track your progress. Some enjoy this feature. Especially for trip reports. I know I do. Let's hope with the recent advance with ACR, that SPOT will follow suit and lower their annual subscription fees.

Edited by Junction on 01/24/2010 13:42:16 MST.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Re: Re: ACR Subscription Details "I'm OK" on 01/24/2010 14:31:09 MST Print View

SPOT and PLBs are 2 completely different devices using different technologies.

The ACR (and other) PLBs are designed to summon SAR to your location, and must meet fairly stringent international standards. PLBs transmit their signal at a much higher strength than SPOT.

I would guess that having a low cost, user replaceable battery would make it difficult for a PLB to meet the necessary standards...