lightweight, waterproof breathable gloves
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Regalia
(markr) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz
lightweight, waterproof breathable gloves on 12/14/2009 09:42:59 MST Print View

This isn't really for backpacking but is for the outdoors. I have been trying to find a pair of lightly or not insulated waterproof/ breathable gloves for bicycling, xc skiing, spring skiing and walking my dogs in the rain. Every pair I have tried have turned not to not have sealed seams and so quickly soaked through.

Does anyone know of any such gloves? Gore Bicyling Wear apparently makes a pair that should work, but they are $80. I'd like to stay below that.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: lightweight, waterproof breathable gloves on 12/14/2009 10:40:52 MST Print View

Consider looking at gloves made with Outdry. A MHW rep was recently selling me on the advantages of it. Seems like pretty cool technology, but it's not something that I've used yet. Basically, the waterproof laminate is on the outside of the glove. Having the waterproofness on the outside means that the outer glove won't be absorbing any water like normal goretex gloves do. If Outdry isn't for you, look for something that is just a goretex shell and then plan to use liners. I know that OR used to make them.

http://www.outdry.com/ENG_guanti_processo.html
http://mountainhardwear.com/SubCategory.aspx?top=1833&cat=1865&level=2&viewAll=

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: lightweight, waterproof breathable gloves on 12/14/2009 11:10:55 MST Print View

Edited by annapurna on 05/02/2010 08:01:41 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Waterproof gloves on 12/14/2009 16:11:51 MST Print View

Check out SealSkinz

Mark Regalia
(markr) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz
Made my choice on 12/14/2009 16:50:58 MST Print View

I looked up the Mtn Hdwr with the OutDry. Then I bought the very basic Epic model, which is little more than a shell. Just what I was looking for. It was that or the Gore Cycling Wear equivalent. But being a certifiable Gear Slut I had to try the new stuff. The fact that it won't absorb any water in the outer layers sounded great.

I have a pair of Seal Skinz, leak like a sieve, more like a pair of gloves with unsealed seams.

BTW, the 2008 Epic gloves were made with a Conduit liner. They are ones that you find on sale everywhere.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Made my choice on 12/15/2009 09:36:49 MST Print View

Cool, report back with your impressions.