Who's land is it anyway?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Who's land? on 12/14/2009 07:38:26 MST Print View

The right of responsible access to land in Scotland is enschrined in law. You can legally hike, camp, cycle, and horse-ride over most land with one or two exceptions. You also have the right to sail and canoe on any stretch of water.
The exceptions are mainly based on common sense. Obviously you can't camp in someones front garden for example, or a military excersise area, or the Glenfarclas barrel room. :)

Edited by MikefaeDundee on 12/14/2009 14:51:10 MST.

WA Martinez
(Danzarr) - F
Re: Re: Who's land is it anyway? on 12/14/2009 12:04:02 MST Print View

this is also made evident in the loss of most homestead laws over the past 30 years. These days, it takes massive corparations and developement project to free land for private use.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Re: European Parks on 12/14/2009 13:06:02 MST Print View

In Denmark it is also camp where you are told and no where else, though I have never seen a park ranger (not even sure if they exist). In Sweden it is All mans rights which basically means you can camp anywhere, but also means that hunters, motor bike riders etc. can also use the same area.

Norway is similar

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Re: Re: European Parks on 12/14/2009 13:24:26 MST Print View

Here is one solution to the hordes of unwashed, unwanted campers and/or intruders. Some of the CDT hikers have mentioned the attitudes of a few New Mexico ranchers regarding this.

gun 3

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Locale: Cairngorms National Park
Who's land is it anyway? on 12/14/2009 13:32:33 MST Print View

"In Sweden it is All mans rights which basically means you can camp anywhere, but also means that hunters, motor bike riders etc. can also use the same area."

It doesn't give the right of motorised transport in wild areas and hunting is limited to certain times and places. I've hiked and ski toured extensively in Norway and Sweden, including spending a summer walking soith to north right through those countries, and their mountains and wild places are beautiful and surprisingly empty, except in the most popular areas at the most popular times.

In Scotland we have the same rights of access and right to camp but again there is no right for motorised vehicles and hunting is strictly controlled.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Who's land? on 12/14/2009 13:54:12 MST Print View

@ Mike Reid,

May I camp in the Glenfarclas barrel room? I foresee an expedition ;-)

Cheers,

Rick

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Locale: Cairngorms National Park
Who's land is it anyway? on 12/14/2009 14:16:09 MST Print View

Rick, I live 15 miles from the Glenfarclas distillery!

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
No camping in the Glenfarclas barrel room. on 12/14/2009 14:53:35 MST Print View

I've edited my post Rick. :)

Don't want the manager finding a load of tents full of drunken Americans one morning. :)

WA Martinez
(Danzarr) - F
Re: No camping in the Glenfarclas barrel room. on 12/14/2009 17:02:13 MST Print View

oh come on, the American backpacker is far different than the American tourist. We're far easier to get along with, especially when you give us the great equalizer.

Edited by Danzarr on 12/15/2009 00:54:22 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: No camping in the Glenfarclas barrel room. on 12/14/2009 17:33:27 MST Print View

"Were far easier to get along with, especialy when you give us the great equalizer."

Have you been keeping up with some of the forums on here? ;-)

WA Martinez
(Danzarr) - F
Re: Re: Re: No camping in the Glenfarclas barrel room. on 12/15/2009 15:52:47 MST Print View

what are you getting at?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: No camping in the Glenfarclas barrel room. on 12/15/2009 17:31:06 MST Print View

"what are you getting at?"

Just making a joke.....nothing personal.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: No camping in the Glenfarclas barrel room. on 12/15/2009 17:38:54 MST Print View

"what are you getting at?"

Hint: It has to do with the Second Amendment. ;}

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No camping in the Glenfarclas barrel room. on 12/15/2009 17:55:14 MST Print View

"Hint: It has to do with the Second Amendment. ;}"

And a whole bunch of the first, as I recall......

WA Martinez
(Danzarr) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No camping in the Glenfarclas barrel room. on 12/15/2009 20:07:53 MST Print View

wrong equalizer buddy

unless,

are you sam colt by chance?

Edited by Danzarr on 12/15/2009 20:08:38 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No camping in the Glenfarclas barrel room. on 12/15/2009 20:33:07 MST Print View

"wrong equalizer buddy

unless,

are you sam colt by chance?"

Nah. Doug goes by the nickname Smith and you can call me Wesson. ;}