ti rods bending in heat
Display Avatars Sort By:

(Anonymous)
ti rods bending in heat on 03/29/2006 13:51:32 MST Print View

Is anybody else having a problem with the ti rods from BPL bending when heated? Am I doing something wrong? Thanx for your response.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: ti rods bending in heat on 03/29/2006 16:45:29 MST Print View

When these first became available a while back, someone else posted a similar experience to yours. They were being used as a pot support and didn't work out for the same reason you experienced. I believe a BPL MYOG Staffer has made a successful pot support by not having the support in the stove flame. You might need a BPL On-Line Membership to view his successful Z-stand pot support.

Patrick Baker
(WildMan) - F
Re: ti rods bending in heat on 03/29/2006 19:49:14 MST Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=1536&cat=Miscellaneous%20Products&cid=65

Jay Ham
(jham) - F - M

Locale: Southwest
Re: ti rods bending in heat on 03/31/2006 06:23:23 MST Print View

We are aware of this happening with some stoves. Mine works great with my alcohol stove; but some alcohol stoves burn too hot, or the combination of stove, windscreen, and pot creates an environment that is too hot for the ti-rod material. The good news is we have found that fringe material.

This was brought to my attention a couple of weeks ago by a reader, and I am working on a redesign of my z-stand that will get the material out of direct contact with the stoves flame. One of our readers loaned me their culprit alcohol stove for testing. I will be working on this over the weekend.

Thanks and appologies to those who have experienced problems,

Jay
MYOG