Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG Pot
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
MYOG Pot on 12/12/2009 05:29:10 MST Print View

Here is a new thread that I am moving from MYOG tent thread.

Tim Marshall asked about making my own pot?...

Well I guess I should have been more discrete about making my own pot. But seriously I have been working towards making/recycling as many items into gear as possible. My goal is to hike without a single purchased item. I'm not sure that's really doable, but heck its nice to have something to shoot for.

My pot is just a recycled Heiny pot (extremely common) that I removed the top to form the lid and sanded it to remove the paint. I've used this pot on my last 2 trips and been real pleased with it. I reverted back to my old stove that served me well on many trips. It is a V8 can stove. I made the foil windscreen (not too difficult to fold tin foil) and my spoon is just a found plastic picnic spoon. One of my water bottles is a recycled aqua fina 1lt bottle (the other is a 2.5 lt platy, purchased).

I really like the Boy Scout cup for measuring fluids, drinking cofee/tea, scooping water to fill water bottles. I'd like to find a recycle replacement for it if any one has any ideas. Ideally I'd like it to be 12oz volume instead of 8 oz. Also I'd like to replace the 2.5 liter platy, but this thing works really well for now.

Here are pics of my Pot and Stove.

stove

pot

I will say that I had been using a Caldera Cone for a while and hands down the Caldera puts all others that I have used to shame. It is a great alcy stove with respect to fuel efficiency and wind usage. I was pushing my MYOG stove in the below freezing temps and wind gusts. It took a lot of fuel to get it primed.

Jamie

Edited by jshortt on 12/12/2009 05:42:05 MST.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: MYOG Pot on 12/12/2009 08:52:47 MST Print View

I started using the Caldera Cone recently and wanted to find a replacement for that heavy caddy so I cut the top off of a Gatorade bottle and use that in conjunction with my cookpot to keep the cone safe. I also took a sharpie and marked the Gatorade bottle on the outside where 12oz was as that is my usual boil and my BPL Firelite 550 does not have any volume markings.Caldera ConeMeasuring Cup

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: MYOG Pot on 12/12/2009 12:16:14 MST Print View

Brad, Now that has some promise. I too am trying to figure out a good solution for storing the cone. The caddy is just too heavy for me. I normally roll it up and just stick it in a side pocket. Though it still works fine the cone is looking pretty beat up these days and I am wondering how much longer the joint will continue to slide together. This also serves the purpose of measuring 12 oz water. Any chance you know if the gatorade bottle can accept boiling water without melting?

Jamie

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: re: MYOG Pot on 12/12/2009 15:08:46 MST Print View

I have been told you can put boiling water into a Gatorade bottle but have never tried it myself.

bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)
RE:MYOG pot on 12/12/2009 20:55:28 MST Print View

I have boiled water in both large leaves and paper cups.

Oh those leaves!!
BJ

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: MYOG Pot on 12/12/2009 22:34:22 MST Print View

I kinda figured you were talking about a beerpot, but i had to be sure. A true MYOG (from raw materials) pot had me a little excited.

-Tim

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: re: MYOG Pot on 12/14/2009 22:37:07 MST Print View

I have tried pouring boiling water into a gatorade bottle - it deformed pretty significantly. mostly it shrunk. I was hoping I could use it for hot beverages, but no go.

Betzi Marshall
(beamarshall) - F
MYOG from plastic bottle on 12/16/2009 19:47:12 MST Print View

But did it shrink on the 2nd or 3rd usage? I have turned 16 oz soda bottles int 12 oz bottles, but once shrunk they become more sturdy/less flimsy/ and the threads on the top do not shrink significantly-i.e they will screw closed with the original cap; though some do leak a bit- I use those to store dry goods for the kitchen.HTH!