MYOG Vapor Barrier Mittens
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
MYOG Vapor Barrier Mittens on 12/10/2009 20:19:23 MST Print View

I'd like to make a pair of mittens similar to the Vapr Thrm mittens available here, but with removable liners. I'm planning on using the Stephenson's fuzzy stuff, climashield, and breathable ripstop for the liners and silnylon for the shell.

My questions are:
1) What can I use for the palms that is light, grippy and durable for use with trekking poles? The only thing I've seen available is toughtek at 36 oz/sq yd.

2) How much climashield do I need? I'm looking for something that will work between 5F and 30F doing light activity/camp chores.

3) Anybody have any spare chunks of climashield they aren't using? Happy to pay reasonable costs.

4) Any comments on the fuzzy stuff vapor barrier as compared to the stuff from RBH? Is there a significant difference? Does RBH sell its fabric to MYOGers?

5) Any other thought, comments, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by nschmald on 12/10/2009 20:23:43 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: MYOG Vapor Barrier Mittens on 12/10/2009 20:34:04 MST Print View

Nia,

I don't know about the RBH fabric but I've used fuzzy stuff VBL gloves and socks from WarmLite. I like them.

The gloves come with a stretchy knit cuff. If you don't like the cuff I don't think it'd be hard to remove it and replace with a fuzzy stuff gauntlet with elastic at the wrist (since you are already in the MYOG game)