How Did BUSH WIN...?
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 09:46:46 MST Print View

"How did GWB win a second term, I don't know anybody that voted for GWB..."

All the talk lately about various PM's flying around in regard to the guns/hunting debate reminds me of hearing that statement on the radio.

Folks, regardless of whether you feel attacked by making an open post because some people might actually disagree with you, sending PM's to people with the same mindset as yourself is like peeing into the wind as far as influencing anybody.

Edit for grammar correction. Sigh, and again for spelling...

Edited by JohnnyBgood4 on 12/10/2009 12:18:40 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 09:57:16 MST Print View

Agreed.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 12:36:10 MST Print View

>"How did GWB win a second term, I don't know anybody that voted for GWB..."

I could make the same statement about the Obamessiah. But I'm sure a thread with a title like that will agitate nicely.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 12:41:25 MST Print View

I really do wonder if the Presidential Election is real, but just wondering about that might cause some to think I'm a conspiracy theorist.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 12:51:15 MST Print View

The saddest thing about national elections is it's guaranteed that some politician will win :(

The second saddest thing is that close to 50% of the voters (and non-voters) will be disappointed right after the election, and that number will rise constantly as the politician serves his term!

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Re: How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 13:16:46 MST Print View

>>>I could make the same statement about the Obamessiah.

Joe, well done. You simultaneously missed my point while helping make the point of the guy that said this on the radio.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 13:20:09 MST Print View

You're welcome. Always glad to help.

Laurence Beck
(beckla) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Conspiracy Theorist... on 12/10/2009 13:28:00 MST Print View

>"I really do wonder if the Presidential Election is real, but just wondering about that might cause some to think I'm a conspiracy theorist"

Tom, I don't want anyone to think that I am a conspiracy theorist either but I agree with you. I actually think the whole Democrat vs Republican thing is more diversionary than anything else.

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Re: Conspiracy Theorist... on 12/10/2009 13:31:39 MST Print View

>>>I actually think the whole Democrat vs Republican thing is more diversionary than anything else.<<<

Now that's enough: I refuse to let my very thoughful and illuminating thread* devolve into just another "We the Sheeple" debate.

Oh well, I guess this is Chaff. Have at it...

* If I do say so myself, and even though almost everybody missed the point... :-(

Edited by JohnnyBgood4 on 12/10/2009 13:32:40 MST.

Brian Keith Gunter
(bkgunter) - M

Locale: Midwest
elections on 12/10/2009 13:32:05 MST Print View

we should ALL vote third party just to p*ss off the lot.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 13:36:32 MST Print View

I admit I totally missed your point, but I don't live in USA, so a lot of the subtleties of local news and gossip are lost on me.

All I know for sure is that all politicians are bad...think about it...if you start out with honesty and integrity, but the only way to get ahead in your career is to be an under-handed back-stabbing liar, you either convert, or get out of the game and maintain your integrity. So by default there are no good politicians :)

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 13:41:51 MST Print View

Republicans watch Fox, Democrats watch MSNBC.

How about criticizing crappy cottage gear? Should you privately discuss it with the manufacturer, or air your comments on the forum to face ridicule from their consumer army?

As far as conspiracies, at the very least "they" pick a candidate that is so lame that he's guaranteed to lose. McCain, Kerry, Dole, Dukakis, Mondale etc... LOL

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Why do they still make 6 pound backpacks? on 12/10/2009 14:13:39 MST Print View

What are they thinking still making 6+ pound backpacks? Nobody on BPL uses packs even half that heavy.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 14:17:58 MST Print View

"The saddest thing about national elections is it's guaranteed that some politician will win :("

I think the saddest thing about national elections, at least in the US, is that well (well by a bunch) over half the voting public (IMAHO) has no real idea who or what they're voting for! The ignorance, which leads to lousy policitians (and lousy politicians getting elected again and again) truly astounds, and disheartens, me.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 14:20:22 MST Print View

"Folks, regardless of whether you feel attacked by making an open post because some people might actually disagree with you, sending PM's to people with the same mindset as yourself is like peeing into the wind as far as influencing anybody."

I don't know John. Unfortunately, it seems that too many (of us? of them?) no longer have the ability to discuss and debate, we only know how to argue and attack. Few really listen. Fewer still make any attempt to actually understand the other side (which does not necessitate agreement).

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
6 pound packs on 12/10/2009 14:33:07 MST Print View

"What are they thinking still making 6+ pound backpacks? Nobody on BPL uses packs even half that heavy."

Well I sometimes d.....uh, never mind.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
How did GWB win on 12/10/2009 14:33:21 MST Print View

"Folks, regardless of whether you feel attacked by making an open post because some people might actually disagree with you, sending PM's to people with the same mindset as yourself is like peeing into the wind as far as influencing anybody."

This is not the way I see it myself. To avoid the "How did GWB win a second term, I don't know anybody that voted for GWB..." reality tunnel trap I deliberately make sure that I expose myself to a wide range of views across the entire spectrum on any debate and this has resulted in me changing my views, on for example gun control (of course they could change again).

However, I don't put much effort into trying to influence/change people's positions via a debate, as it is usually a completely thankless task. Most people seem to me very territorial when it comes to their beliefs and it seems to me that most online "debates" reflect this. Personally I prefer to get up off all fours and go find the others.

"There are two kinds of people in this world. People that believe there are two kinds of people and people that don't believe there are two kinds of people."

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
How Did BUSH WIN...? on 12/10/2009 14:38:54 MST Print View

The differences between the two factions of America's ruling class are subtle.

The Republicans attack my well being directly.

The Democrats stab me in the back.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Politician's lies on 12/10/2009 14:46:33 MST Print View

I didn't make it up, I'm just repeating...

Democrats lie to you for your own good.
Republicans lie to you for their own good.

Andy Berner
(Berner9) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
"How Did BUSH WIN...?" on 12/10/2009 14:54:53 MST Print View

Next person running for President should run as "American" not left or right.

That's what I would do.