November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYO trail bars/meals
Display Avatars Sort By:
Blair Gentes
(blastreach) - F
MYO trail bars/meals on 12/09/2009 17:40:41 MST Print View

I've been making a food plan for an upcoming trek, and I've hit a few road bumps.

Though I enjoy the taste and everything else about the probars, I just can't afford too many of these.

I cant get cliff bars for 80 cents each, but I would not want to survive just on those, as they are way too sweet and digest far too fast.

I have no tried the Bear Valley Pemmican bars yet. I plan on maybe having 1-3 per day; if I like them.

This leaves me with making my own food. I plan on making hummus and dehydrating it. Sounds simple, even though I've never used a dehydrator.

I think that with hummus/crackers or wraps, cliff bars, pemmican bars and maybe a probar or half of one, I can make about 3/4 of my daily needs.

This got me thinking: I should try making my own trail bars, or some kind of healthy, balanced, high calorie trail food.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know there are lots of threads on trail bar recipes, etc but I just want to know if I've pointed myself in the right direction before I go purchase a dehydrator and ingredients.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: MYO trail bars/meals on 12/09/2009 17:43:52 MST Print View

I wouldn't think you'd need a dehydrator to make your own trail bars. To make dehydrated meals, of course. But not trail bars.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: MYO trail bars/meals on 12/09/2009 19:21:17 MST Print View

Not hard at all to make bars - but do realize that quality homemade bars do contain pricey ingredients ;-) A number of us have posted winner recipes in this forum over the years, so searching will pull them up :-)
You don't dehydrate them though! Baked, yes and also raw ones.

Blair Gentes
(blastreach) - F
re on 12/09/2009 21:55:47 MST Print View

I found a few in the past threads, and they all sound delicious.
I've read that these homemade bars need freezing (obviously). Is there a way to make them last longer outside of the freezer? Would vaccuum sealing work?

I'm planning a PCT thru-hike and would like to use homemade bars, but they would have to be unfrozen for at least a few weeks.

Mike Clelland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 12/09/2009 22:43:25 MST Print View

Mike Should upload his trail goo thing here^^^

better yet ill link it up!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: re on 12/10/2009 08:15:49 MST Print View

Packing in food vac bags will help but...yeah, unfortunately that is where commercial bars do shine. Commercial bars last for a year or more often, homemade bars not so well past a week. This is partially why commercial bars all have a similar texture (where they don't taste raw or baked but somewhere in the middle). It is a blend of certain ingredients that naturally preserves them.

Other options would include peanut or other nut butters that are mixed with dried milk, honey and other ingredients to a stiff paste (that is slice able). This will last for months!

As well, nut/fruit balls last a long time, especially if booze is added. They are easy to make, simply pulverizing dried fruit and nuts, often with honey and spices. Honey is a natural preservative. Roll in more nuts or coconut to control stickiness. These store well in a plastic box.