MYOG- Thinking of Polartec Power Shield pants.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
MYOG- Thinking of Polartec Power Shield pants. on 12/09/2009 12:31:16 MST Print View

I'm planning to make winter pants and jackets for my kids. I'm having trouble deciding between uninsulated shells or insulated shells.

The kids won't be out overnight in the snow, so this is for day-use. Uses will be snowshoeing, snow play, and winter hiking. Temps from 20F to 50F.

I'm planning on a three-step layering system: shell only at warmer limits, shell plus Polartec Power Dry baselayer in cooler conditions, shell plus base plus midweight fleece in cold.

I'm considering Polartec Power Shield for the pant shell. It has a thin layer of fleece on the inside, a urethane laminate that claims to be highly water resistant, and a smooth outer face. The sample I have has pretty good 4-way stretch.

If anyone here has experience using Power Shield I'd appreciate feedback. How breathable does it seem? Does it bind on base layers? Is the stretch nice or is it irritating? Does melting snow soak in or does it bead off? How durable?

Edited by jimqpublic on 12/09/2009 12:33:55 MST.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: MYOG- Thinking of Polartec Power Shield pants. on 12/09/2009 22:35:30 MST Print View

I spoke with a nice lady at The Green Pepper Patterns. She said their "Kids Polar Pants" work great with Power Shield and are very easy to sew. They have no outseams or fly so basically just 4 main seams plus waistband and cuffs. I'll probably do patch cargo pockets after the pants are done.

She said that Power Shield works well for kids' snow pants- that it is plenty water repellent to keep melting snow from soaking through, warm enough alone for cool weather and the fuzzy inner surface doesn't paste to your skin if you sweat.

I'll practice by using the same pattern for midlayer pile pants out of Power Stretch, then size up a little for the Power Shield. The Green Pepper has dark grey Power Shield "Lite" with microvelour inner at $16.98/yard. They also have Gore Windstopper for $13.98 but I like the stretchy Power Shield better.

Edited by jimqpublic on 12/09/2009 22:59:15 MST.