Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Pack Size
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Bronstein
(sbronstein) - M
Pack Size on 12/09/2009 09:13:12 MST Print View

I am camping in weather that could be in the low 30's.

I am having trouble resolving what I carry and a small pack volume. My weights are ~25 which I am ok with. I am using a Wild Things Andinista which has a volume of about 3500 cu in.

I use a Clark Hammock and a synthetic sleeping bag. Those two items, though light enough for me, are bulky and I cannot seem to get away from needing a larger volume bag i.e. 5000 cu in.

Since internal packs don't lend themselves to much gear/sleeping bags on the outside how do other UL people manage with such small volume packs.

It seems that the UL community uses much smaller volumes which I assume means that just tarps and minimal down bags are being used. How do people with synthetic/fleece (bulky gear) solve this problem. I know the quick answer is get a larger volume pack like the Golite Odyssey but I was hoping there might be a different solution that I am missing.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Pack Size on 12/09/2009 10:28:19 MST Print View

Depending on your pack's configuration...

I much prefer stashing my tent (or hammock in your case) to the outside of my pack. This saves precious pack space (and thus allowing for a smaller pack). Also, when setting up in the rain, you have access to your hammock without opening up your pack and exposing everything to the rain. And when striking camp, you can pack up and close up your backpack -- then put on your rain gear, take down your hammock, attach it to your backpack, and be on your way.