Unwritten Rules of Backpacking with Buddies
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: beer on 12/10/2009 01:44:04 MST Print View

Just saw this.....Dehydrated Beer!!

http://patsbackcountrybeer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=26

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Unwritten Rules of Backpacking with Buddies on 12/10/2009 02:26:14 MST Print View

So far I have only seen "beer flavour" concentrates, this looks promising. Now keep an eye on that and let us know when it is ready.
This could be bigger than the Neo Air saga.
Franco

Jonathan DeYoung
(jdeyoung81) - F

Locale: New England
Re: Re: beer on 12/10/2009 07:17:54 MST Print View

Back Country Beer! this is a genious idea. I think BPL should get behind this as a coporate sponsor! Then maybe... just maybe we could get a members discount on the goods!

not sure if the beer mix falls under a luxury or must have item...

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Locale: South Florida
Re: Re: beer on 12/10/2009 08:37:34 MST Print View

It's kind of funny that they are coming out with dehydrated beer. I have a buddy who think it's the strangest thing in the world that I go backpacking in the woods all by myself without any beer. I used to always tell him it's too heavy. He said the only reason he hasn't taken up backpacking is because he wants to drink beer every night if he does go... maybe now he'll be able to.

-Sid

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Share if needed on 12/10/2009 08:55:04 MST Print View

I have hiked with a loosely knit group for so many years that we all have a rhythm.
Since most of us are friends outside of hiking now it is common that some sleep over at our house. They are like family. Just family with a long drive over if they want to hike in the Cascades.
We also car pool or have my husband drop us off.

So the rules:
1) Starting early is not an option. This is so we can do all of the below.

2)Stopping at Safeway and Starbuck's is not an option. It always happens on the way out of town. Newbies figure this out quickly

3) Someone will want McDonald's in the back seat. We will stop.

4) Someone will need a last minute bathroom break at the last flush toilet. Plan in time.

5) Good food is meant to be shared. Always have enough of something special to share. It is the way. See above stop at Safeway for last minute buys.

6) Have your pack ready to go when we hit the trailhead. Boots on is a plus. We just don't get people who pack at the trailhead to say the least ;-)

7) There is no such thing as "group gear". You want it, you haul it.

8) There is nothing wrong with making private deals with friends on sharing items. Just don't assume people want to do a deal - you have to know them well.

9) If someone's gear breaks or fails, lend them yours unless they are a jerk. But we try to keep jerks to a minimum.

10) If someone has a hard day and gives the silent treatment, temper tantrums or a crying fit just ignore it. Then when they are in a better mood poke them for it. It happens.

11) In camp we eat as a group but each of us prepares our own meal (unless we have a deal between friends). We always offer leftover hot water to anyone who needs/wants it. Need spices? Honey? Tea packets? Help yourself.

12) If you see someone with no energy, offer to help them put up their shelter, get water for the group or tie off the Ursacks at night. If you get up early and get your Ursack, get everyone else's and take them to the kitchen area. The nice person boils water for morning drinks if they have sleepy heads with them!

13) Hike at your own pace. As long as you have map skills it is OK to be behind. If you have a newbie, don't ditch them though.

14) Never be an overbearing LNT douche bag. It is annoying and guess what? We all know it. We don't need or want to hear about your LNT master training for 40 miles.

15) If moral is down be sure to talk about all the beer, pop, ice tea and pizza you will buy when done. Talking about food seems to always help. Then pull out that treat you bought back on day 1 and share it.

16) It is always flat along the ridgeline. Don't ruin my fantasy!

17) After hike, eating out is nearly always done. I am observant enough to know who cannot afford it and I or someone else will cover your bill. We know how it is to be in that position and will never embarrass you. Going out to eat seems to work as this awesome way to bond over the trip and not just disappear on the wind at the trailhead, with cars driving away. And no one passes up a hot meal and a cold drink unless they are an idiot......

PS: Most of us don't care about being fashion plates and often smell like well traveled yaks at the end. Most of us don't care about bathing on trail, wearing deodorant or carrying fresh clothing for changing into in camp. It is a good idea to carry new clothes for the car. If you want. We don't care. That is what home is for - that shower so hot it sears you.
Most of us don't share shelters. They are small and it is our tiny box of privacy.
If Dicentra and I are on a trip together we will talk the entire trip, from sun up to bed time. Get used to it. If you don't want to hear us, walk faster with the boys. We will see you in camp.

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Dehydrated Beer on 12/10/2009 10:22:50 MST Print View

Benjamin Franklin said that "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

This dehydrated beer suggests that God's name just might be Pat.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Pace on 12/10/2009 10:54:52 MST Print View

If you want to make thirty miles a day there better be a general agreement on it. Otherwise its not worth the strain on friendships when someone can't keep up.
Also even if you're feeling fine it seems appropriate to at least act tired if someone else is suffering more than you.
Humor is good. My friend teases me constantly about my "bookbag" (small golite pack)and I tease him about his "Gregory tower"(Gregory expedition pack).

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
Re: Share if needed on 12/10/2009 10:56:44 MST Print View

>>>15) If moral is down be sure to talk about all the beer, pop, ice tea and pizza you will buy when done. Talking about food seems to always help.<<<

Quite a while ago I read about a discussion a couple of climbers where having during an unplanned bivy high on an alpine peak, and they spent most of the night talking about beer and food to pass the time.

One of them said something like, "if we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had any eggs..."

It always cracks me up everytime I think of that quote.

Jeff K
(jeff.k) - F

Locale: New York
Re: Share if needed on 12/10/2009 11:11:29 MST Print View

>>>10) If someone has a hard day and gives the silent treatment, temper tantrums or a crying fit just ignore it. Then when they are in a better mood poke them for it. It happens.

That is great advice.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Share if needed on 12/10/2009 11:16:39 MST Print View

Sarah's last comments really make me wonder why she would want to hike with these other people. Sounds like a lot of hassle and not much benefit. Oh well, as long as you HYOH.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Sarah's rules on 12/10/2009 11:25:52 MST Print View

I don't know, sounds like ours, except the having your pack ready at the trailhead. We always go to the same place, and take all fresh food, some requiring "refrigeration". Besides, the beer and wine need to be cold. So, almost everyone takes an ice chest and transfers stuff from it to their pack (this food goes in the river at the camp site). Besides, there is always that piece of gear that you forgot and just have to have, so you stopped at REI on the way up. ;-)

Edited by Hitech on 12/10/2009 11:26:30 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Sarah Rules! on 12/10/2009 12:07:50 MST Print View

Sounds good to me. I need to come up to the PNW again... :)

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Unwritten Rules of Backpacking with Buddies on 12/10/2009 12:45:25 MST Print View

This thread helps remind me that I'm not much of a social creature. I don't like chit chat all that much, or talking about my life or someone else's life. You can only talk gear so long. I mostly hike alone.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Sarah Rules! on 12/10/2009 14:29:05 MST Print View

Ben and I survived - even talking politics. I only wish I had more cake to make and share ;-) That last night was nice - when we all had a fire.

I would say that for the most part in our group we hike as individuals together for friendship. That can be very different for folks who grew up with Boy Scouts or did group trips where the individual doesn't exist. One good friend I met years ago (who went on to perform my husband's and I marriage) had only done those kinds of trips. We argued for years online before we hiked together. He for sure thought we were all heathens. Then he was "oh I get it!" The concept that we all have a happy medium - we have "our gear" "our style" "our pace" "our fruity diet that no one else wants to eat" but we still crave companionship on our journeys.

And so our rag tag group picks up people yearly who are just like us, the misfits who together work well. I can think of a few who post here I call friends now and would hike with nearly anywhere - Hoosierdaddy is my best example. Him and I are polar opposites yet it works. TwoFourtyJeff, Rooinator and others go into that group as well.

It is that easy acceptance that makes it work. I am sure we would drive organized groups batty within minutes. Lol!

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Sarah Rules! on 12/10/2009 14:45:44 MST Print View

"That can be very different for folks who grew up with Boy Scouts or did group trips where the individual doesn't exist."

Actually, it has nothing to do with that. To me, it's all about lightening up. Sharing a tent, stove, pots, fuel and bits and pieces just makes good sense from a UL point of view. I mean, two people in a Refuge-X means a mere 8oz per person for a fully enclosed tarptent. Awesome!!! Two folks sharing a Ti-Tri is just too cool and efficient. And having two people to split up camp chores is also nice. I'll cook dinner while you get the tent set up. Then you can do the dishes :)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Rules -- May As Well Write Them Down! on 12/10/2009 20:42:05 MST Print View

Four pages of posts (and counting) is a lot to write about unwritten rules!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Sarah Rules! on 12/10/2009 21:22:06 MST Print View

Sigh...here is why we go solo in groups:
Like many, I eat such a strict diet no one else wants to eat my way (my food is so low sodium most would be looking for a salt lick). I hike with vegans, gluten free diets, meat only (oh the tales about Sausage Boy! Never have I seen a man eat so many wieners in a sitting), raw food fans, people allergic to dairy, gahh....the list is so long I wouldn't want to go on. Basically, by being responsible for your own food you know exactly how much you need. To the 1/4 ounce. No one is hungry due to a partner developing a thru-hiker appetite.

Don't get me wrong - when I go with my husband and son we share one stove and pot. That is different. For them I cook for all of us. But they will eat what I can eat.

Most of us don't do dishes. Lets say that the FBC method was adopted by most.

Shelters? This is a tricky area. I will share with my son and husband and as well with Dicentra on a cold night. I don't with others. This is simple: many of us are married and we hike with people who are not our SO's. It is respectful to those at home that boundaries are established. Yes, I am old fashioned. I wouldn't like it if my husband shared a tent with another lady, so when out with my male friends I sleep in my own tent. And frankly? Since most of us go out alone or with random people, all of us have plenty of solo shelters vs doubles. Doubles really only make sense if you hike with the same partner over and over. It works for us and there has never been any issues over the years.

Camp chores? Set up shelter. Get water. Cook dinner. Go tie off Ursack. Go to bed. Not that much to share really. We share water and Ursack duties often as mentioned.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Unwritten Rules of Backpacking on 12/10/2009 21:39:45 MST Print View

Here's one--If we take my truck my buddies will pay for gas--If we take one of my other friends car then me and my other buddy will pay for gas. That's fair becuase of the ware and tare on the vehicle-right? We also play cards (Hearts) who ever looses takes out the trash (everybody's trash) and then also pay for burgers at In-N-Out...To be honest I am a very bad card player so I end up carrying out the trash and paying for alot of Double, Doubles. I am not complaining too much..Its all good!!

Art Sandt
(artsandt) - F
pee on 12/11/2009 00:59:17 MST Print View

What's with the widespread fear of pee? It's not gonna kill somebody to pee on the plant two feet away from your tent, and it seems really inconvenient to bring a Howard Hughes-esque bottle just to have to walk 100 yards away from your tent every few hours, dump your pee waste, and walk back to camp. Trust me, the animals don't know and won't follow your defacatory rules, and a little pee in the soil never hurt anyone. Ah well, my list:

Always have a positive attitude, even if your partner doesn't.

All unsolicited hiking/packing/gear advice stops at the trailhead.

Everyone is responsible for their own shelter/cooking/food unless agreed upon beforehand (which of course it often is in groups, but the default is still for individual preparedness)

Don't do anything your hiking partner wouldn't do.

Plan the trip with your hiking partner beforehand. Failure to do so may result in mutiny.

Edited by artsandt on 12/11/2009 01:07:28 MST.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Unwritten Rules of Backpacking with Buddies on 12/11/2009 20:53:23 MST Print View

Jay,

I agree, farting in the woods is one very good reason to backpack in the first place.