Forum Index » GEAR » Summer quilt

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Gilbert
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Rayway Quilt on 12/08/2009 18:41:30 MST Print View

I looked a few months ago, and Ray's website said the insulation was climashield. I believe the 2 weights are probably the XP and combat weights. I believe the fabric is probably nylon taffeta (ie: Ripstop without the thicker threads that make the square pattern). I don't know if it's DWR treated or not. His website talks about the benefits of a highly breathable fabric for keeping insensible perspiration from reducing the warmth of the insulation in quilts.

You can also order materials from Thru-hiker.com.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
summer quilt on 12/08/2009 19:35:54 MST Print View

here's what I ended up doing- found a used Marmot Atom for $110 (e-bay, but have seen some good deals here as well), send into Tim Marshall and for $50 he will convert it to a quilt.

my guess it will be at (or slightly less) than 1 lb, should be good for temps close to freezing w/ decent sleep clothing added

Mike

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: summer quilt on 12/08/2009 20:16:17 MST Print View

Climashield XP 2.5oz is a good summer weight insulation. It is good to around 45*. Making a quilt with this stuff is very easy to do, or I know a guy who makes them:)

A quilt sized like the Edge fitting up to 6' will weigh under 13oz depending on the extras added to the quilt (drawcords, zippers, ...)

-Tim

Peter Oppold
(Shouse) - F

Locale: Florida, FT
Re: re: peter on 12/14/2009 15:51:50 MST Print View

"Peter, in Beyond Backpacking Jardine recommends Polarguard 3D and Primaloft. Not sure if that's what he's still using in these kits. I bet they will kindly tell you if you email. The kit includes all instructions, fabric, insulation. Not sure about notions(threads, etc.)"

He would not. This is how he responded
"We supply the world's most high performance materials with our Kits. That's all we have to say about that. Enjoy your hike of the Florida trail, whatever gear you choose."

Doesn't give me that nice warm feeling inside that makes me want to buy from him. The rumor is he's using climashield XP now but I am very skeptical of this. He sells the insulation fabric for $2.95 a yard. That is RIDICULOUSLY cheap, unbelievably cheap, if it's XP. I'm afraid I'm shying away from Ray Jardine if he's going to be all mysterious with his products.

"I looked a few months ago, and Ray's website said the insulation was climashield. I believe the 2 weights are probably the XP and combat weights. I believe the fabric is probably nylon taffeta (ie: Ripstop without the thicker threads that make the square pattern). I don't know if it's DWR treated or not. His website talks about the benefits of a highly breathable fabric for keeping insensible perspiration from reducing the warmth of the insulation in quilts."
Never found anything about XP on his site. I question the use of XP b/c of the low price.

Edited by Shouse on 12/14/2009 15:54:27 MST.

Joseph Morrison
(sjdm4211) - F

Locale: Smokies
"Summer quilt" on 12/14/2009 22:37:28 MST Print View

I am going to use my Golite Ultra this coming summer. It may be overkill but I am not going to spend a fortune on a lighter quilt just to shave a few ounces.

I got a chance to use the Nunatak Arc Edge last summer. A friend who wites online reviews for backpacker magazine let me use it. It was crazy light and warm for nights in the mid 40's. I believe it would have been adequate for nights in the upper 30's. It was very nice but I don't believe its worth the price they are asking for it.

Joseph

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re:Ray Way Kits on 12/14/2009 22:41:28 MST Print View

thats 2.95 per foot not yd!! Big difference

if i was going to guess i'd say the .75 is 2.5oz XP and the .9 is 3.7oz combat. I too have heard he is now using climashield (same makers as his beloved 3d)

when i ordered one of his quilt kits (in like 2005) the fabric was 1.1oz nylon ripstop, the same as you can get everywhere else.

-Tim

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
Summer Quilt on 12/15/2009 00:13:20 MST Print View

I'm late in this discussion, but Tom at Nunatak will work with you to customize a quilt to fit your needs. In my case, I wanted the width of the Ghost, but not that much insulation as I wanted a summer weight quilt. He ended up taking out an ounce of down (gave me a discount on that too), decreasing the baffles, and helped me decide on a regular length (a little extra length to allow for stretching out my feet and pulling the quilt up over my neck since I'm a stomach/side sleeper). I ended up with a great 11 oz quilt perfectly suited for summer backpacking, which I can stretch down to around freezing with the addition of insulated pants & jacket and base layers.

I think for the custom work, and the mess of trying to work with down, it is a real bargain.

Pam

Peter Oppold
(Shouse) - F

Locale: Florida, FT
Ahhh on 12/15/2009 09:52:10 MST Print View

thanks for the clear up Tim, didn't catch change in units.

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
quilt on 12/15/2009 10:10:46 MST Print View

Tim, this question is probably better suited to the MYOG thread, but while you are here ;), might you suggest a needle size appropriate for working with the Momentum .9, and reccomend a nice thread to use in constructing my Thru-Hiker kit quilt? I was thinking the Hydrophobe 100% Polyester Thread with Anti-Wicking Finish TEX 24, also from Thru-Hiker, might do the job... but if a standard Gutermann poly will do... I have a few spools of Gutermann poly upholstery thread, but I feel this may be too heavy?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: quilt on 12/15/2009 10:15:48 MST Print View

i use the guterman, not the heavy stuff but the standard 100% poly. I use a needle from size 9-11. I normally use 9 or 10 but 11 is fine if its all you have.

-Tim

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
thread on 12/15/2009 10:32:43 MST Print View

Thanks Tim! Appreciate the info!