Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Modifying a BPL UL Quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
JJ Mathes
(JMathes) - F

Locale: Southeast US
Modifying a BPL UL Quilt on 12/07/2009 09:35:07 MST Print View

I'm not sure this is best location for this topic, but it's the closest fit...I think?

I want modify my BPL UL 60 Quilt. Before I jump into this project I wanted to see if any of you have done this or something similar and are you happy with the results?

The current foot box is a little too tight for my comfort level, a flat quilt will be more versatile and comfortable for my use. I want to open up the foot box converting the quilt to a flat quilt, add a draw cord at the foot, like the cord at the head and maybe a strip of velcro/omni tape up to about knee level so if I ever need to enclose the foot I can.

The foot end will be tapered, but should be plenty material to cover my feet.

I'm open for suggestions.

Sincerely, Claustrophobic

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Modifying a BPL UL Quilt on 12/07/2009 09:57:33 MST Print View

this will shorten the usable length 4-6" so make sure it will still fit you.

-Tim

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Modifying a BPL UL Quilt on 12/07/2009 10:19:12 MST Print View

Velcro separates pretty easily if you move around at all during the night, omni tape even more easily.

You can defeat that problem with a large snap or even better, some lacing ties at each end. Or you can skip the hookie-loopie stuff use ties ever 4 inches or so (worked for me).

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Modifying a BPL UL Quilt on 12/07/2009 11:37:49 MST Print View

"You can defeat that problem with a large snap or even better, some lacing ties at each end. Or you can skip the hookie-loopie stuff use ties ever 4 inches or so (worked for me)."

Or a lightweight zipper. Tim put one on my cuben quilt. Works like a charm.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Modifying a BPL UL Quilt on 12/07/2009 11:59:01 MST Print View

While we're on the subject my brother expressed an interest in using a BPL UL 60 quilt over a Marmot 0 degree bag for really bad weather camping, problem is its a bit tight$. Our idea was to open up the footbox on the bottom and splice in a section of nylone so it would still wrap around but be a bit more roomy. Any idea if this would work? Also any guesses on how much warmer it would make things would be much appreciated.

Edited by Cameron on 12/07/2009 11:59:39 MST.

Scott White
(sdwhitey) - F

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: Modifying a BPL UL Quilt on 12/07/2009 12:04:07 MST Print View

Luke:

check out the description of the mld spirit quilt. It looks like Ron suggests a bungee system that sounds similar to your idea.

JJ Mathes
(JMathes) - F

Locale: Southeast US
Modifying Quilt on 12/07/2009 17:04:40 MST Print View

Tim- good point, being 5'4" I can pull it over my head, so I should be fine if I do loose 4-6". I only plan on using this quilt for summer kayak/camping trips on the coast of GA.

attaching drawstrings at key points are also good ideas, thanks