Forum Index » Photography » My first camera?

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Don't spend too much. on 02/08/2010 21:48:32 MST Print View

The Coolpix with battery weighs the same as your s90. Unless you are dead serious about sub 1 second shots not on a tripod with no flash you are likely to pay a price premium,with no significant options for lenses or filters. The only downside is CF card cost. Higher but much more stable.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
S90 - Manual Focus on 04/19/2010 13:51:57 MDT Print View

James,

I have a question about your Canon S90 that might be useful for others interested in a "prosumer" P&S. I don't have a DSLR and was considering one as a step up from a very old Canon Powershot A95. What appeals to me most about an SLR style camera is the ability to quickly do manual focus. How often do you see yourself using this feature of the S90 and do you feel that it adequatly replicates this feature of a full fleged slr?

Thanks,

Darren Bagnall
(dbagnall)

Locale: El Portal, CA
landscape on 05/19/2010 15:23:10 MDT Print View

I am struggling with the same issues - trying to choose my first digital camera for a long backpacking trip. I used to be a professional photographer. I gave that up years ago and I am just now getting into digital.

If there is one thing I would assume we all have in common is that we shoot landscape. Which is why I am suprised that I see so many people shooting with cameras that only have 28mm eq. lenses such as the S90. A proper landscape shooting lens is 24mm eq and personally I would not shoot landscape with anything else.

Obviously this is a problem becuase very few compacts have 24mm eq. lenses and I believe the dslr's are too heavy for this trip. Currently I am leanding twords the Lumix LX3.
I am super bummed that the Sony Alpha NEX-5 doesnt come out until after I leave for my trip. I believe that would be my ideal camera.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: landscape on 05/25/2010 10:46:53 MDT Print View

I actually do more landscape photography with a 105mm lens than with my 28mm lens on my digital.

If you want good landscape pictures, it's actually easier to start with a longer lens than with a wider lens.

I also have a feeling that I'll be getting a Nex-5 as well. It will complement my 4x5 perfectly for longer trips, enabling me to have my cake and eat it, too. I'm also thinking about getting a TrekPod to go with the Nex (eventually... and maybe).

Hm. Maybe after I get a Nex I can sell my Nikon toys and switch entirely over to an Alpha setup to share the glass. I really only use the Nikon for portraits and events right now anyway, since it's almost as heavy as my Arca.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: landscape on 05/25/2010 11:16:19 MDT Print View

Hi Darren,

IMHO the LX3 still heads the compact pack despite being an ancient two years old. Nothing else matches its feature set and lens.

A larger format alternative might be an E-PL1 with the new 9-18 lens. This combo gets us into the ultrawide realm at a very light weight, with the attractive option of an EVF for outdoor use.

Cheers,

Rick

Ross Williams
(xavi1337) - F

Locale: Korea
Wide Angle Landscape on 05/25/2010 13:08:51 MDT Print View

My sweet spot for wide angle landscape is -20-24mm equivalent focal length, 10mm for a 4/3 system at ~f/8. I've found taking a lens just a bit longer, 28mm, no longer make wide angle an easy task. That said, I like a lot of foreground and get almost everything in focus.

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
LX3 on 05/25/2010 13:19:07 MDT Print View

I finally conceded that MY perfect camera doesn't yet exist and purchased an LX3. I really like the pics and versatility but a little longer lens would be nice. Overall I am very pleased while I wait for "the one."

Darren Bagnall
(dbagnall)

Locale: El Portal, CA
LX3 on 05/25/2010 14:10:25 MDT Print View

I went ahead and purchased the LX3 as well. I am still awaiting its arrival.

What this means, of course, is that a newer model will come out in the next 2 weeks :)

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: LX3 on 05/25/2010 14:42:04 MDT Print View

After some deliberation I went for a Fujifilm F200EXR. Lighter, cheaper and smaller than the LX3, 5x zoom from 28mm equiv, and very good low light performance and dynamic range.

It got a good testing on the SW coast path in UK last week and I'm pleased with the results.