Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Mountain Marathon Gear and Why?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Lane
(KEVINLANE) - F
Mountain Marathon Gear and Why? on 03/27/2006 14:09:47 MST Print View

1. A friend is planning to do the Jay Mountain Challenge Marathon in Vermont this July. There is a two to three mile stretch through streams, with stations a few miles before and after where she can leave a change of clothes, etc. She is thinking on the shoes that she might want to wear through this stretch of the race. She is also looking for a device to carry water and is not sure if she should go with a bladder system or a waste belt with a bottle or two. If anyone has any thoughts please e mail her at EStorey@Sliwa-Lane.com

2. I noticed the new pack reviews. Why bother to review packs that are too heavy for us?

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Mountain Marathon Gear and Why? on 03/27/2006 20:01:18 MST Print View

> I noticed the new pack reviews. Why bother to review packs that are too heavy for us?

Depends on who "us" is. If you read the reviews, some of the packs may be good lightweight choices for ski-backpacking or other rough usage. A 1-pound pack made of silnylon would probably be trashed if you strapped skis and crampons onto it and bashed through the trees. I'm considering buying one of those packs reviewed because they are lighter than my current 7.6-pound winter pack.

If it's too heavy for your needs, then the review should help make it clear that you don't want to buy it.

Edited by Otter on 03/27/2006 20:03:30 MST.