Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What are the best Bike Forums (mtn, touring, road)?
Display Avatars Sort By:
E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
What are the best Bike Forums (mtn, touring, road)? on 12/04/2009 19:21:31 MST Print View

Need to ask a few questions, appreciate any thoughts on the most active/quality forums.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: What are the best Bike Forums (mtn, touring, road)? on 12/04/2009 19:24:10 MST Print View

MTBR.com Pinkbike.com Roadbikereview.com are a few I would look into.

For light weight stuff check out light-bikes.com and weightweenies.starbike.com.

Edited by Bender on 12/04/2009 19:25:49 MST.

Tony Vails
(pro_out) - F
forums on 12/04/2009 20:57:19 MST Print View

http://www.bikepacking.net/

James Naphas
(naphas13) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
What are the best Bike Forums (mtn, touring, road)? on 12/04/2009 21:18:58 MST Print View

For roadies www.bikeforums.net. It also has pretty good touring, winter, commuting, and other communities. It's probably the most active forum I've seen regardless of subject matter. Expertise is variable, though, and the roadie forum can be pretty brutal for a newbie.

Edited by naphas13 on 12/04/2009 21:21:44 MST.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
bike forums on 12/04/2009 21:27:37 MST Print View

MTBR endurance forum has some pretty experienced posters that will reply but the biggest concentration of people that bikepack off road has got to be www.bikepacking.net. It's awesome!

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Locale: Michigan
bike forums on 12/05/2009 06:42:27 MST Print View

Ultralight biking:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/ultralightbiking/

Primarily colonized by those doing the Great Divide and some Iditarod racers.

mtbr.com of course

Didn't see crazyguyonbike.com for touring. Definitely a sensation.

Local bike groups are also one of the best sources of infromation since gear availability, road and trail conditions, weather and what not are highly regionalized.

When I'm touring I'll often find bicycle groups mailing lists for the areas or trails I'm planning on traveling though or on and ask them questions. They are invalueable and often as happy to provide info as I am to be able to ask it. Localied knowlege rules.

There are also a bunch of great mailing lists on various subjects: touring, bike company mailing lists, you name it. can't begin to give an overview but there is a whole lot of conversation out there. An order of magnitude more then the great niche that is this ultralight forum.

Oh... also, flickr.com. Not sure their forums are a good place for discussion but there are hundreds of bike related groups and they're very active, for photo sharing at least. Some discussion goes on in the comments on photos as well.

Edited by mmeiser on 12/05/2009 06:42:57 MST.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
cycling on 12/05/2009 07:27:49 MST Print View

Cyclingforums.com and Cyclingnews.com, I really like the fitness Q and A on the later.

Thomas Bennett
(DavidMakalaster) - F
forums on 12/05/2009 09:13:55 MST Print View

I only know mountain bikes.

If you want good tech info ridemonkey.
If you want to shoot the $hit with some cool people mtbr.
If you want to mingle with the pros and like the DH race scene vitalMTB.
If you want to listen to retarded 13 year olds talk about color coordinating parts pinkbike.