Forum Index » Chaff » Climategate

Display Avatars Sort By:
s k
(skots) - F
Re: Re: Climategate on 12/03/2009 19:09:56 MST Print View

Wisner: .I'd rather channel my energy/stress towards something useful.

I can only guess; development of "The IAOLRBJ" maybe? The International Association of Organized Low Risk Baby Jumpers.
Featuring on site wagers and ...I'd better stop.

You've got vision!

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Re: Re: Climategate on 12/03/2009 19:21:15 MST Print View

"Shouldn't science be subject to honest peer review?"

Peer review by family.

These folks don't know the meaning of "Honest".

I agree, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, buys any answer the left wants.

They Blinded me with Science

Edited by bfornshell on 12/03/2009 19:31:05 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Climategate on 12/03/2009 19:25:27 MST Print View

"You've got vision!"

And skills.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Climategate on 12/03/2009 19:43:00 MST Print View

"Poor Al Gore, global warming completely debunked via the very internet you created, Oh the irony..."

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Climategate on 12/03/2009 20:41:03 MST Print View

"Wait until Goldman Sachs gets ahold of the cap and trade exchange...."

They already have. There was an article in the NY Times a couple of weeks ago about them setting up to trade in, guess what? Carbon cap DERIVATIVES.

Those Bas%$#ds are over the top.

Cory Mull
(eldon519) - F
"Fixing" it on 12/05/2009 09:01:37 MST Print View

One of the things that has alarmed me the most is some of the ideas that have been thrown about to "fix" global warming. Everything from space-based filter screens to sewing aerosols through the upper atmospheres.

All that stuff just terrifies me. What if AGW is false the earth is warming because it is Mother Nature's cycle? We already mess up the environment enough by accident or side-effect, what if we actually set our minds to it and enact something radical intentionally?

Or on the flip side of the coin, if AGW is real, I think most people can agree that the science is imprecise and difficult to quantify/model. So what if we enact some of these solutions and take them too far? Are they all reversible? How easily? Who decides and controls such implementation, the UN? Who pays for it, probably the US?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Climategate on 12/05/2009 10:12:44 MST Print View

Hey Tom - indeed. In fact, GS was at the forefront of lobbying the government to create a cap and trade agreement back in 1999 / 2000. How do I know? I was trading financial derivatives at the time. Would you believe that they only paid $14M in tax last year? They lobbied the government to allow them to house money overseas as, are you ready for this, a foreign company.

I could go on, and on.

My big issue with controlling the cap and trade is that will indirectly affect financial commodity prices (i.e. exchange traded derivatives) and then we all ultimately pay on the 'physical' side.

But I digress.

(maybe I should become a gun owner?....I kid, I kid)

Edited by FamilyGuy on 12/05/2009 10:13:57 MST.

Pepe LP
(PepeLp) - F

Locale: New Mexico
Global Warming on 12/05/2009 17:56:47 MST Print View

Man, I remember when I was a kid back in the '70s, scientists were predicting the next ice age. They would show pictures of people in Chicago all bundled up in a snow storm and talk about glaciers covering Canada. What happened to that?

The amount of time they can accurately sample is an eye blink compared to geologic time.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Climategate on 12/05/2009 18:36:58 MST Print View

"Hey Tom - indeed. In fact, GS was at the forefront of lobbying the government to create a cap and trade agreement back in 1999 / 2000. How do I know? I was trading financial derivatives at the time. Would you believe that they only paid $14M in tax last year? They lobbied the government to allow them to house money overseas as, are you ready for this, a foreign company."

Let 'em keep on doing what they do. One of these days the public is going to go ballistic and the lot of them are going to be in very deep doo doo. "You can run but you can't hide....."

On a related note, there was an article in The New York Times a few days back that noted, with bonus season just around the corner, there has been a surge in applications for concealed weapons permits by GS execs and traders. Hilarious, huh? One of these days...

Luke Ochsenbein
(LukeOchsen) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Re: Climategate on 12/08/2009 09:59:12 MST Print View

"From the hole in the Ozone layer, to the displacement of Arctic sea ice, this has been one incredibly well done hoax."

No - those things are happening. The issue is whether a global warming is doing it as defined in the media and / or whether we are causing it."

Arguing with sarcasm doesn't advance your position :)

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Re: Climategate on 12/08/2009 10:08:44 MST Print View

Luke, I would take point with your claim that no one is arguing whether or not the planet is warming. Just take a look at Fox News for a few minutes and you'll see much skepticism about this. Hannity's false claims that 2009 is the one of the coldest year on record (2009 actually is the fifth warmest) for example.

Luke Ochsenbein
(LukeOchsen) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Re: Climategate on 12/08/2009 12:19:43 MST Print View

While it may be true that some people argue that the planet isn't warming, I'm pretty sure Cameron was making a joke.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Climategate on 12/08/2009 12:53:32 MST Print View

> applications for concealed weapons permits by GS execs and traders

It doesn't appear in my searches of the web site ???

Cheers

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Climategate on 12/08/2009 13:54:22 MST Print View

I thought GS was in New York, where concealed permits aren't allowed.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Retracted on 12/08/2009 14:01:16 MST Print View

Oh, heck. I was trying to make a joke, but I'll delete it in the interests of not fanning any flames. SOME nutjob would undoubtably have taken me seriously.

Edited by acrosome on 12/08/2009 14:15:25 MST.

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
not so fast, hombre on 12/08/2009 16:53:46 MST Print View

Hang on Dean, there's actually plenty of chitter-chatter about some GS execs packin' pistolas. It's all Blogosphere, but here ya go:

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/moneyinvesting/news/bank-execs-start-pack-heat

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=gun+permit+by+bank+execs&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=b36c7832dbb01be6

cheers,
michael

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Climategate on 12/08/2009 17:30:33 MST Print View

"It doesn't appear in my searches of the web site ???"

Hi Roger,
Type in concealed weapons permits + goldman sachs on the NYT website.
Cheers,

Tom

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Climategate on 12/08/2009 17:39:42 MST Print View

They are going to have to protect the stashes of cash made from carbon tax trading.

It's only fair.

Edited by FamilyGuy on 12/08/2009 22:26:01 MST.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: not so fast, hombre on 12/09/2009 09:48:35 MST Print View

It was nothing like that, Michael. It was just a joke that by it's nature would have fanned flames, despite the fact that I was only trying to be funny.

So I deleted it.

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

Locale: Central Oklahoma
Re: Climategate - Science not faked, but not pretty on 12/15/2009 08:42:22 MST Print View

The 1,073 e-mails examined by the AP show that scientists harbored private doubts, however slight and fleeting, even as they told the world they were certain about climate change. However, the exchanges don't undercut the vast body of evidence showing the world is warming because of man-made greenhouse gas emissions.

The scientists were keenly aware of how their work would be viewed and used, and, just like politicians, went to great pains to shape their message. Sometimes, they sounded more like schoolyard taunts than scientific tenets.

The scientists were so convinced by their own science and so driven by a cause "that unless you're with them, you're against them," said Mark Frankel, director of scientific freedom, responsibility and law at the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He also reviewed the communications.

Frankel saw "no evidence of falsification or fabrication of data, although concerns could be raised about some instances of very 'generous interpretations.'"

Article Link