Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cross between Quilt and sleep bag?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Re: TQ-30 on 12/16/2009 08:16:38 MST Print View

Hi Paul,

The ultraliteskunkworks blog is one of my "Blog's".

I started the Blog as a backup for the MYOG threads I have here and other places. The Blog format makes finding the different projects a lot easier then the format used here.

Glad you enjoyed looking at it.

I am about to go look at your Quilt link.

Do I detect a little connection to the "Ario Guthrie, Alice's Restaurant" song in your comment that has your Quilt link?

Paul Elliott
(PaulElliott) - F
Re: Re: TQ-30 on 12/16/2009 08:42:08 MST Print View

Bill,
Ah, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I ran across your site when I was designing this quilt. And I was thinking of your web site last night when I was hitting the shutter and counting to 30 while running over and getting in the quilt before popping the flashes.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the design.

People like it more when I talk about 8x10 glossies rather than going around saying KILL! KILL!

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Cross between Quilt and sleep bag? on 12/16/2009 09:55:54 MST Print View

If you had to do it over, would you use silk again? I just wondered, I need to build some summer quilts......

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
KILL! on 12/16/2009 10:01:48 MST Print View

"People like it more when I talk about 8x10 glossies rather than going around saying KILL! KILL!"

;-) We need an UL gear store like Alice's resturant.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

TQ-30 on 12/16/2009 10:02:10 MST Print View

Hi Paul,

I like your quilt, the design fits what you want very well.

You have a very well documented project. I like the way you explain the steps in making the quilt from design planning to the finished quilt.

The construction looks very well thought out and I like your ideas for pattern making.

The finished quilt looks really nice. When Thru-Hiker first got the Brown Momentum-90 I called and asked for a small sample. I had a bunch of Pertex Quantum so I stayed with it. I have some yardage of Momentum-90 in another color and consider it a direct replacement if or when I run out of the Pertex Quantum.

Toast Quilt - TQ-30

PS. You have a camera that has a 30 second delay on it, no fair. I have to do all that in 10 seconds. I want a camera with remote shutter control that is light enough to carry hiking.

Paul Elliott
(PaulElliott) - F
Re: Cross between Quilt and sleep bag? on 12/16/2009 10:31:50 MST Print View

Joe,

Yes, I like the habotai silk and would use it again. I don't think it's for everyone, though. I used 5mm silk, and 8mm would probably be more appropriate for a longer lasting quilt. I especially like the silk when not wearing sleep clothes.

Although this quilt was used down to 25F, I also use it indoors in roughly 60 degree temperatures very comfortably, but when indoors I like to sleep just below the sweat point. If I do any trips in warmer temps next year, I may consider going with a 2.5osy XP, and I'll stick with the 5mm silk. It's cheap enough that if I do have a problem, I'll just cut off the damaged silk layer and replace it.

If you get a sample and sew it to some shell material, you'll see that you can pull it off the shell, but it is difficult to have a catastrophic failure. The website link I provided shows a photo with the start of a failure at the stitching in the silk. That was after 10 days in the field and a couple months directly on me in bed at home.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: TQ-30 on 12/16/2009 10:31:58 MST Print View

Nice Paul! Lots of creativity; and good skill, especially for your 1st MYOG sewing project!!!

Paul Elliott
(PaulElliott) - F
Re: TQ-30 on 12/16/2009 10:45:51 MST Print View

Bill,
Thanks for the comments.

When I got the Momentum in, I was disappointed with the color since I thought it would be lighter. This coyote color has kinda grown on me, like an ugly dog with a nice personality.

I've been wondering about Quantum. That's interesting to me that you view Momentum as a direct replacement.

As for the camera, part of the reason I am interested in UL techniques is because I take a Canon 5D, 70-200L, and 17-40L lenses into the field. I couldn't find my cord for radio triggering the camera last night, so I worked in a dark studio, set the camera for a 30 second exposure, then popped the flashes from a radio remote. I did feel bad about your 10 seconds. It felt like I was cheating.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Re: Re: Cross between Quilt and sleep bag? on 12/16/2009 10:47:38 MST Print View

I use a lot of silk and did this Silk and Climashield Combat Quilt to use inside a Bivy. The Combat weighed 2.46 ounces per squard yard. I have been warm with this combination down to 42 degrees (F).

Silk Quilt

or turn it into a Non-Insulated Bottom Sleeping Bag:

Silk Sleeping Bag

Edited by bfornshell on 12/16/2009 10:49:15 MST.

Paul Elliott
(PaulElliott) - F
Re: Re: Re: Cross between Quilt and sleep bag? on 12/16/2009 11:12:23 MST Print View

Bill,
What mm silk do you use? It's hard to tell on the web, but it looks like it's thicker than the 5mm I used, which would seem appropriate for an outer shell.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cross between Quilt and sleep bag? on 12/16/2009 11:50:10 MST Print View

Hi Paul,

The silk I used for the Silk Quilt and Silk Sleeping bag and most of the other things I make out of silk is from Thai-Silks, product number 021H-000, 4.5 mm per square yard. This silk is called "Paj", but is the same type silk as Habotai and listed on the same page.

The 4.5 mm silk came 54" wide and the 5 mm came 36" wide. I went with the 4.5 mm so I would not have to sew 2 pieces of the 5 mm silk together. The difference in strength between 4.5 and 5 mm per sq yard should be almost zero.

I have a Hammock made out of 8mm / 1.02 ounce per sq yard that I have been using for about 4 years.

Edited by bfornshell on 12/16/2009 11:52:06 MST.