Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Indiana - Adventure Hiking Trail

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathaniel Lynn
(bc74sj) - F

Locale: Midwest
Indiana - Adventure Hiking Trail on 12/01/2009 17:34:07 MST Print View

Going to try this out in 2 weeks. Have never been. Can anyone offer any advice on cache spots for water, starting trailheads, 2 day vs 3 day? I want to start hiking the Knobstone but with only 1 car would be more difficult for a friend and I.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Re: Indiana - Adventure Hiking Trail on 12/01/2009 17:59:30 MST Print View

From what I understand, AHT is very poorly maintained, is poorly blazed, and still has many blowdowns from the hurricane (yes hurricane) last year, though I don't believe you need to cache water. If you are looking for loop options, my recommendation would be Deam Wilderness (wait until the horse trails dry out a bit more), or Red River Gorge.

Chris

Edited by ChrisMorgan on 12/01/2009 18:50:02 MST.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Indiana - Adventure Hiking Trail on 12/01/2009 18:01:00 MST Print View

I thought the title was an oxymoron! Who knew?

Nathaniel Lynn
(bc74sj) - F

Caching water on 12/01/2009 20:14:23 MST Print View

Everything I have read indicated caching water. I am aware of the poor maintenance, not really a bother to me (taking GPS, no big hurry). I have been to Deam 50+ times in my life and just did the Sycamore Loop last weekend. I live in Columbus and most of my friends live in Bloomington but wanting to get out and see more in Indiana.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Indiana - Adventure Hiking Trail on 01/26/2010 08:39:19 MST Print View

How did it go? I'd like to get down there sometime.