Forum Index » Mountaineering & Alpinism » Winter Emergency Bivy Sack

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Stanhope
(stanhope2003) - F

Locale: New England
BoTachTactical on 12/02/2009 12:48:24 MST Print View

Just an FYI,

I looks like BoTach Tactical sells the Blizzard Bag as well.

(http://www.botachtactical.com/blsubag.html) $29.99.

They also carry two versions of the MPI Extreme Pro Tech Bag. One is an Emergency Bag listed at $8.50. The other just says MPI Extreme Pro Tech Bag listed at $29.99. Richard do you know the difference between the two? The website doesn't have any informatino for the MPI Extreme Pro Tech Bag just the Emergency Bag.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Blizzard Bag on 12/02/2009 12:59:32 MST Print View

I thought $8.50 was too good to be true for a Blizzard Bag. Hopefully i can cancel my order.

David Stanhope
(stanhope2003) - F

Botach Tactical Reply on 12/02/2009 13:28:27 MST Print View

I talked w/BoTach Tactical today. The lady I talked with didn't seem too informed on the bags.

However, she said the MPI Extreme Pro Tech Bag listed at 29.99 was a second generation bag. Why it is so expensive compared to the MPI Pro Tech Emergency Bag, who knows? The Blizzard Bag she said is similar to the MPI Pro Tech Emergency Bag. She also said she'd buy the Blizzard Bag compared to the MPI bag b/c it was waterproof and windproof. However, reading through the MPI bag it is waterproof and windproof as well. It seemed more like a sales pitch.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Blizzard Bag or not? on 12/02/2009 13:37:48 MST Print View

The Blizzard Bags are widely used here in the UK David. Fully wind and waterproof. They are an excellent bit of kit, and really warm. I've carried one unopened in my winter daysack for years. I loan it to my daughter when she goes out with her friends. They cost about $30-$40 dollars here, so picking one up for my daughter at $8.50 was too good a deal to miss. I've emailed them for more info on the bag. For some reason, the silver Blizzard Bags are cheaper than the Orange or Olive bags, so maybe that has something to do with the low price, if it is a Blizzard Bag.

David Stanhope
(stanhope2003) - F

Blizzard bag on 12/02/2009 14:01:43 MST Print View

Mike,

Let me know what you find out. At $8.50 I may just buy the MPI Extreme Pro Tech Emergency Bag and the Blizzard Bag to compare for myself. Maybe keep one in the car one in my pack. There does seem to be some discrepancy but who knows maybe it is a form of the Blizzard Bag and the site operator I talked to just wasn't aware of it. Keep me updated.

I've been reading reviews for both the Blizzard and MPI bags. The Blizzard bag has a LOT more feedback for reviews. The MPI bag, however, does have reviews out there and positive ones as well. The Blizzard Bag also is being used with UK and US Armed forces to prevent hypothermia accidents in the field.

Edited by stanhope2003 on 12/02/2009 14:04:44 MST.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Re Blizzard Bags on 12/02/2009 14:27:11 MST Print View

Will do David.

If you look at that link i posted for the Blizzard Bags, you'll see they use the same technology on a few different bits of gear. I think UK military had a lot of input in the developement.

The Blizzard Bags are designed to be used more than once. You can use a vacuum cleaner to repack them, though they don't go as small.

Edited by MikefaeDundee on 12/02/2009 14:29:06 MST.

Michael Cockrell
(CAL-EE-FOR-NIA) - F

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA
Bivy Sack-vs-tarp on 12/02/2009 14:54:26 MST Print View

Would a tarp & bivy be best? Seems overhead shelter is important.

Maybe a tarp & light bivy?

nanook ofthenorth
(nanookofthenorth) - MLife
... on 12/02/2009 15:03:54 MST Print View

If anyone is looking for a light bivy I have a like new ID Endurance bag cover that I could let go for 50 plus shipping.
The Blizzard bags look good but sweaty and only good for emergencys. - still at that price...

David Stanhope
(stanhope2003) - F

tarp/bivy on 12/02/2009 15:24:28 MST Print View

Bivy would prob. be used in conjunction with a snow cave for climbing in the case of an emergency bivouac while above treeline.

Edited by stanhope2003 on 12/03/2009 09:10:43 MST.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Shipping too costly on 12/05/2009 11:41:21 MST Print View

I can't give you any more info on the bag, David. They wanted $15 shipping, and $25 for something called a transfer fee. $40 to ship something that costs $8.50!
No thanks.

David Stanhope
(stanhope2003) - F

That's too bad on 12/05/2009 22:09:18 MST Print View

Mike,

That's too bad that something that weighs only 12oz is so expensive to ship. No matter where you live. I'm surprised the shipping for UPS Ground within the US is $10.83 which is still a little much for such a lightweight item. The ppl. that sold the Blizzard Bag are willing to ship it for free and cut the price total $26. MPI Bag total $19.33. Might go for the Blizzard w/so much positive feedback.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Re: Winter Emergency Bivy Sack on 12/23/2009 20:13:56 MST Print View

Just ordered 6 to give to backcountry skier friends.

When they came they were just space blankets.

Will contact to see if I can return then.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Winter Emergency Bivy Sack on 12/23/2009 23:20:37 MST Print View

David - I had the same problem. I ordered 2, and 2 of those little 4 oz. space blankets came last week. I emailed them twice and called once and told them about the mistake. They mailed me a return UPS label which I finally got this week and sent them back. The description of what I was buying was definitely for the 12 oz. ones. We'll see how this plays out.

David Stanhope
(stanhope2003) - F

David/Kathleen... on 12/24/2009 00:07:20 MST Print View

Were those the MPI Bags? If it was the MPI bag/when you receive them what is your take on the bag? I've considered buying the MPI Bag for a climbing gift to others.

Aside from the MPI Bag I'm going to go with the Blizzard bag there seems to be a lot of positive feedback for it.

Edited by stanhope2003 on 12/24/2009 00:11:12 MST.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Winter Emergency Bivy Sack on 12/24/2009 09:50:34 MST Print View

No, they were not the MPI bags. That's the problem. They sent those little space blankets that come in a small, cardboard box that you can buy at Target and weigh 4 oz. They didn't send the 12oz MPI bags. Once they send me the correct order, I'll let you know what it looks like. Pictures and everything.

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Locale: Michigan
Re: Winter Emergency Bivy Sack on 12/24/2009 10:28:47 MST Print View

BTW, have you considered using vapor barriers as well?

This gives a tremendous amount of flexibility and may change the way you think about a bivy system.

I recently started experimenting with them for sleeping purposes. Being as I tour I really work up a sweat during the day. This pretty much mandated I carry a second pair of cloathing for night.

However if you use a vapor barrier you needn't worry about wet clothes or condensation in your bag. What's more you don't have to have a breatheable bivy.

You can if you like use a vapor barrier pant and shirt or simply a vapor barrier sleeping bag liner.

The advantage of the vapor barrier pant and shirt is the ability to use it for extra warmth during the day if you need it in an emergency.

BTW, lightweight plastic grocery bags make excellent vapor barriers for socks. Just use you lightest sock inside and a heavier sock outside.

PVC rain pants seem to make a great vapor barrier legging. Since I only wear a single layer pant during the day I just slip them on at the end of the day when I'm cooling off anyway and then slide right into the bag.

Ideally you want to have only one very thin layer between yourself and the vapor barrier, i.e. ultralight merino wool or polypro (works but smelly). The thin inner layer is for comfort. Some production vapor barriers include a comfortable cloath liner.

So, at the end of your day when you're cooling down at some point you quickly take off your outer layers and put the vapor barrier shirt on just a light layer away from your skin.

The vapor barrier alone should get you another 5-15 degrees more out of your bag. What's more using an outer non-breathing bivy... i.e. mylar, should give even more warmth.

David Stanhope
(stanhope2003) - F

Re; on 12/26/2009 16:20:42 MST Print View

Kathleen that stinks they didn't send the right item. Hopefully they can get it right the next time around. Hopefully the item is the correct one that is depicted online on their website.

I have considered using a Mylar or Vapor Barrier liner. I have looked at a few Mylar bag linings. For the price they seem like a good product and they can be used for a sleeping bag not just for an emergency purpose. Thanks for the tip.

David Olsen
(oware)

botach tactical bait and switch on 01/07/2010 15:02:34 MST Print View

Well botack called. The emergency bivys have been discontinued. We will see if I get my money back. Had to
make an extra trip to UPS just to return the stuff they sent.

(they sent space blankets instead, just before Christmas so
I couldn't get presents out).

David Olsen
(oware)

Re: Re: Winter Emergency Bivy Sack on 01/07/2010 15:03:45 MST Print View

Richard-

Did you actually get one of these? Or is Botach a Big Sky
clone?

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: botach tactical bait and switch on 01/07/2010 15:24:52 MST Print View

I recently ordered some Visaendurance shirts, a weather station/clock, and some mini-LED lights from them. It took them a week or so to ship and they were out of stock on the LED's, but they didn't bill until the shipment date and the products were as expected- all at least 70% off list.

The only problem with my $5.99 Visaendurance shirts is the logo on them- I had better not arrive at a peace rally wearing the "Blackwater" logo. I figure at the price I paid that Blackwater didn't make any profit.