Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Janome TB12 Sewing Machine

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
Janome TB12 Sewing Machine on 11/30/2009 13:14:51 MST Print View

I've searched this site and read all the other information I could Google to try and find a decent entry level sewing machine for outdoor gear. Despite this effort, I'm still a bit confused about the features and terminology although I believe the Janome TB12 might be just what I'm looking for.

In one post, Roger listed the desirable features as follows:

>>>
* Lock stitch rather than a chain stitch, but very few machines provide a chain stitch these days.
* Loadable bobbin
* Adjustable upper tension
* Straight and 3-step zigzag
* Variable stitch length
* A light
* A wheel at the side to allow manual movement of the needle.
<<<

I think the TB12 has everything in this list but even after studying the info on their site I'm not 100% sure.

If anyone here has experience with this machine or wouldn't mind taking a minute to review the specs online I would appreciate any and all comments. The machine can be had for $199.

http://janome.com/index.cfm/Machines/Sewing-Quilting/TB12

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Janome TB12 Sewing Machine on 11/30/2009 13:39:31 MST Print View

Looks OK to me.

What you cannot see from the web site is whether the base can be poked up the inside of (say) a trouser leg (ie a free arm), or whether it is really a 'flat bed' machine. You have to get to page 10 of the PDF manual to find out that it *does* have a free arm, once you remove the accessory box.

Did I mention 'chain stitch'??? I may have mentioned some sort of zigzag (eg a 3 or 4 step one) as a substitute for an overlock, but a chain stitch?

Cheers

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
Re: Re: Janome TB12 Sewing Machine on 11/30/2009 13:59:01 MST Print View

Thank you Roger.

>>>Did I mention 'chain stitch'??? I may have mentioned some sort of zigzag (eg a 3 or 4 step one) as a substitute for an overlock, but a chain stitch?<<<

I copied your post verbatim. You were not advocating a chain stitch, you were saying make sure it's a lockstitch and not a chainstitch. (I think....)