Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 5-6 day Colorado hike suggestions?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Mummy Range Loop? on 12/05/2009 22:38:23 MST Print View

Ok, I had an idea for a hike around the Mummy Range, mostly in RMNP, but I don't know if it is possible.

My plan would be a leave my car at the Lumpy Ridge or Lawn Lake trailhead, then shuttle or hitch to the Timber Lake tralhead and start hiking up the La Poudre Pass Trail, past the Long Draw Reservoir, and turn onto the Mummy Pass Trail. Once over the pass the trail leaves the park and ends up on private property on the South Fork Cache La Poudre River. (The Koenig Ranch?) I would need to cross the valley of the South Fork Cache La Poudre, and cross the ranch, to reach the Stormy Peaks Trail and ultimately hike back to the car.

Can one cross from the Mummy Pass Trail to the Stormy Peaks Trail as I describe? (After all, these well-known trails DO cross his property.) Or is the rancher persnickety? I suppose I could bushwhack across the valley before the trail leaves the park, but on the map that doesn't look like fun...

Edited by acrosome on 12/06/2009 19:12:26 MST.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Mummy Range? on 12/07/2009 07:32:37 MST Print View

Bump

NOBODY has intel on the Mummy Range?

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Mummy Range? on 12/08/2009 11:48:58 MST Print View

Sorry can't help on the Mummy. I'd try 14ers.com though, a LOT more colorado people

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Mummy Range on 12/08/2009 12:28:53 MST Print View

Sorry I can't say much about that area either, you might try calling the Park Rangers, it might depend on who answeres the phone that day. Try Google Earth for a general idea what the area looks like.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
5-6 day Colorado hike suggestions? on 12/08/2009 13:56:51 MST Print View

Isn't there a new loop around Pikes Peak? That would be pretty close.

Matt Thyer
(mthyer) - MLife

Locale: Pacific North West
For Loops try the Flat Tops Wilderness on 12/22/2009 13:51:47 MST Print View

Some of the least traveled wilderness is also the most likely to yield loops in this state. I'd suggest a loop starting near Skinny Fish Creek (#1813) to the Driveway (#1812) then skirting the Chinese Wall east and south.

Depending on how many miles you make a day you could drop back down into the North Fork of the White basin at Little Trappers Lake, Fraser Creek, or Big Fish Creek.

I was a back country ranger in the early 90's on this forest and I can assure that you'll come away with a memorable experience.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Thanks, on 12/26/2009 17:13:07 MST Print View

Well, thanks for all the good information, everyone. I'm still slowly researching all of it. I have my Flat Tops map. Well- half of it. Apparently it is spread across two different Trails Illustrated maps. More will follow- hopefully in the form of a trip report or two.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: 5-6 day Colorado hike suggestions? on 12/26/2009 19:46:17 MST Print View

The new loop around Pikes might be the Ring the Peak trail if we're thinking of the same thing. I can get some GPS data for anyone who tries it. It's a big single day loop on a bike.