Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
$30 Down Jacket
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Lee
(JLeephoto) - F - M

Locale: Triad
$30 Down Jacket on 11/28/2009 10:33:39 MST Print View

I don't own one (yet) and it's probably not super light but Cabelas is offering an already inexpensive down at 1/2 off and Cabelas generally makes high quality stuff. I might get one to stash behind the seat of my truck in case of emergency. Here it is: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_920056&id=0073247981291a

Mark Andersen
(MarkA) - F
Maybe... on 11/29/2009 21:55:25 MST Print View

I own the vest version of this coat. It weighs about 12.5 oz. (size large). I think it's under-filled--there are areas with no down at all. I have actually thought about opening it up and filling it with high-quality down, since the shell itself seems pretty light, but tough, and the fit is good for me.

For the use you mention (throwing in the vehicle for emergency), it would be great, but it's pretty heavy for the warmth it provides. One other downfall is that there's no DWR coating on the fabric, so water soaks right in. For these two reasons, I never take this backpacking anymore, and hesitate to use it as a layer when it's snowy or rainy.

I have had mixed results with Cabela's brand gear. Most of it is way too heavy, and I've had to return quite a few pieces of clothing and other gear because of premature wear or some other quality issue. Their packable flyrods are great, though, for the money.

James Lee
(JLeephoto) - F - M

Locale: Triad
Thanks Mark on 12/01/2009 21:38:49 MST Print View

Thanks for that info Mark. Being under filled would be a real disappointment. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, just something to consider next time I make an order. My experience with has been primarily on hunting and some fishing gear. None of which is very light as it all takes off trail beatings but I've had a lot of it for a long time. I think their customer service ranks close to L.L. Bean so I'm always confident if I don't like it I can return it.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
$30 Down Jacket on 12/01/2009 22:15:55 MST Print View

I've got the vest version of that jacket. Not bad for the price, and I only paid $15 for the vest. I'd do it again, compared to the other options.

Mark Andersen
(MarkA) - F
Worth $15 on 12/02/2009 15:22:48 MST Print View

Joe--I agree that it's worth it for $15. I use it as a layer under a fleece and waterproof shell when walking to work in the icy Laramie winters. But, I don't use it in the backcountry, given the lack of any water resistance in the shell (at least on the one I have).