November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
ground cloth preference
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joseph Scalia
(jscalia) - F

Locale: NorthEast
ground cloth preference on 11/27/2009 23:34:23 MST Print View

what type of ground cloth do you use? and how easy is it to fold up/put away? and lastly do you secure the ground cloth so that it doesnt move around?

Andy F
(AndyF) - F

Locale: Ohio
Dropcloth on 11/28/2009 10:47:03 MST Print View

Right now, for use with a tarp, I just use a 4'x7' piece of 2 mil(?) plastic dropcloth. I don't anchor it. I sloppily fold it, and then stuff it into a small stuffsack.

It works, but I'm planning to switch to a bivy (used with the tarp) with a silnyon bottom, and with an extra coating of thinned silicone caulk on the inside for increased waterproofing and reduced slipperiness.

Edited by AndyF on 11/28/2009 10:49:01 MST.

James Naphas
(naphas13) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Plastic on 11/28/2009 13:03:57 MST Print View

I too use 2 mil plastic sheeting. I don't anchor it with anything but my stuff. I fold mine up and carry it in an external mesh pocket on my pack.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Dropcloth on 11/28/2009 14:19:16 MST Print View

Surprisingly happy with GG Polycro I got with a box of stuff from gear swap.

Folds down so small. Kinda hard to fold down until you figure out how to do it right. Always give air a way to escape with each fold and push air out with each fold. They are back in their original ziplock. Nice.

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Locale: South Florida
Silnylon on 11/28/2009 16:17:37 MST Print View

I use my multi purpose ULA Rain Wrap as a groundsheet. It's made of Silnylon so it's pretty durable. It has a loop at each of the 4 corners, which allows me to stake it. I use 1 gram titanium stakes to stake it down.

Joseph Morrison
(sjdm4211) - F

Locale: Smokies
"ground cloth preference" on 11/28/2009 16:32:41 MST Print View

I used to use a 5'x7' piece of tyvek but it was too heavy. I suppose it would be okay for a long backpacking trip where durability is a requirement.

Lately I have been using a AMK Heatsheet blanket. Its much lighter and I suppose it might reflect some body heat, I have no idea.......

I do not stake my ground sheet down. I see no point in doing so.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"ground cloth preference" on 11/28/2009 16:47:09 MST Print View

I use a 3ftx7ft piece of 4mil plastic sheeting for myself, bigger if sharing a tarp.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
HUH? on 11/28/2009 20:51:58 MST Print View

The "groundcloth" that I use is the one sewn into my TarpTent Moment.

'Nuf Sed.

C g
(cgraf) - M

Locale: So Cal
"ground cloth preference" on 11/28/2009 21:01:25 MST Print View

+1 on the GG Polycryo....I was surprised at its durability.

Trevor Wilson
(trevor83) - MLife

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area
Groundsheet on 11/29/2009 10:49:14 MST Print View

I used to use a tyvek sheet but switched to GG Polycro. I've been very happy with the switch. I'm still on my first sheet after multiple trips in the Smokies and one 6 night trip to Glacier NP. If it's windy I might put rocks on the corners but that's it.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Polycro on 11/29/2009 13:29:14 MST Print View

Polycro when not sleeping in a bivy.

Kevin Egelhoff
(kegelhoff) - F

Locale: Southern Cal
Re: "ground cloth preference" on 11/29/2009 14:43:35 MST Print View

+2 on the GG Polycryo.... They simply work GREAT, are super light, and I get about 20+ nights out of each mimimum with some care. You can use some light packaging tape to combime two singles to make a larger size ground cloth that still weighs less then most other options.

Edited by kegelhoff on 11/29/2009 14:44:36 MST.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Re: "ground cloth preference" on 11/29/2009 15:02:32 MST Print View

+3 on the polycro. If I want a larger piece, or don't want to pay for shipping I buy the heat shrink film used to insulate windows. It's the same stuff. Here's an example but I just use the brand available at my local hardware store.

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F

Locale: SoCAL
GG Polycryo on 11/29/2009 18:45:24 MST Print View

Another vote for the GG Polycryo. To carry it, I just shake the dirt off, fold it, and put it in the outer mesh pocket on my pack. In camp, I usually use 4 rocks on the corners to hold it in place so the wind doesn't disturb it. I either cowboy camp or tarp camp so I'm sleeping directly on it rather then through a tent floor.

And it is very durable. On my recent PCT thru-hike, I used 1 from Mexico to the Oregon/Washington border that only had a few duct tape patches to fix a few holes (most of the damage happened early on in the deserts of S. California). It could have gone all the way to Canada but since I had an extra one in my bounce box and I thought it would be nice to have a new one for wet Washington. The one I used for Washington finished with no holes.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: ground cloth preference on 11/29/2009 19:44:35 MST Print View

Tyvek, cut to shape for both my Evolution 2P and Tarptent Sublite. I fold them (dirty side in) and stuff them into the bottom cylinder of my LuxuryLight pack; along with the tent and NeoAir, all wrapped around my NF Beeline.

I do stake the ground cloth down. I have installed grommets in the Tyvek and the stakes hold both the ground cloth and tent. I have found that a brisk wind will blow my ground cloth right out from under the tent.

Edited by redleader on 11/29/2009 19:50:05 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

GG Polycro on 11/30/2009 01:25:43 MST Print View

This year I switch from Tyvek to the poly. I was skepitcal at first. But even with primarily desert use it has held up well.

Elena Lee
(lenchik101) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)
where do you get Tyvek? on 11/30/2009 12:02:41 MST Print View

Where do you guys get your Tyvek? I need a Tyvek sheet but not sure where to find it.

Any ideas?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: where do you get Tyvek? on 11/30/2009 12:42:07 MST Print View

AntiGravity Gear sells sheets for a decent price. I just bought some a couple of weeks ago.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Where do you get Tyvek? on 11/30/2009 12:57:25 MST Print View

Do you know any contractors or see any construction in your area? If they are wrapping a house in Tyvek just ask. There will be scraps all over the place that you can put to use.

I still like Polycro since it is so light. I give Tyvek to anyone that does not have a footprint since I can get is now and again.

Scott White
(sdwhitey) - F

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: where do you get Tyvek? on 11/30/2009 15:46:57 MST Print View

I got mine from Joe at He just got back from the CDT and is planning to reopen soon.